stella1751
Greener Thumb

Second Generation Gurneys Hybrid Big Chile II's

Tomorrow is the average first frost for up here. Tuesday looks ugly. I think we will have a cold fall :cry:

Following are my photos of my second generation Frankenchilies. I decided to take photos today. These guys are in a tight location for taking photos, but I think you can see how well my HBC II's turned out.

This is the entire bed of eight. My strung Super Chilies are hanging in the background.

[img]https://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy292/mitbah/Pepper10.jpg[/img]

Following is a corner plant I noticed was tipping over, despite its stake. After using an 8' green pole to pull it back upright, I peeled away some leaves to see what in Hades was making it fall down. There are many more peppers on this plant than can be seen here. I'll bet it has 15 to 20 pounds worth of peppers on it!

[img]https://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy292/mitbah/Pepper15.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy292/mitbah/Pepper1.jpg[/img]

These are photos to give an idea of how big these peppers are. Like I said, it's tough to take pictures in this bed. The angles and the sun are never right. However, these guys range from 9" to 10", maybe more.

[img]https://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy292/mitbah/Pepper12.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy292/mitbah/Pepper18.jpg[/img]

That's my pepper contest contenders so far. These are some of the reasons I like growing peppers as much as I do! TZ said that by the 7th generation, people should see some degree of consistency from a hybrid. I'm looking forward to the third generation!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

stella1751 wrote:. . . I'm looking forward to the third generation!
I would be too, Stella! I'll be looking forward to you telling us about them here. And, those peppers are looking real good right now!

So, what can you tell us about taste?

Still having a little trouble finding the right seed, I didn't grow Anaheims this year. Went with favorite Italian and Asian sweets and tried a new bell, "Big Early" & a little guy, "Yummy." The season was so cool to start, I'm hoping that more than 1 or 2 of the Yummies will ripen. I mean, they are little so, what's the hold up ;)?

I did harvest a whole bunch of ripe Super Chilies a couple days ago!

Steve

stella1751
Greener Thumb

With the exception of the ones I want to use for seed, I've been harvesting my Super Chilies just before they turn red. They are in my front garden beds, the ones along the sidewalk, and red peppers are a big temptation out there. There's something about the color red that really gets the attention of passersby. (The city put in crosswalks and put slurry or something on our street this year. The plant next to the road cone by my place didn't produce well for me until the road construction was done :roll: ) Most of the Super Chilies I have strung will turn red as they dry. Some of 'em turn a peachy color. This year's crop is super hot!

The HBC II's are a thick-walled medium hot pepper. They are great roasted or in Chile Rellenos. I haven't eaten any of the second generation ones; I'm drying my hot peppers for chili powder this year, and because my Habaneros refuse so far to change color, I'm counting on these for bulk.

If you want to try these, PM me. I should have plenty of seeds, especially from the plant in the second photo that shows their size. That one was an early producer despite our cold June, and I've already got two drying from it. I'll probably pick those other two red ones tomorrow, as well as two or three from the other plants, and start them drying.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Wow! Looking good Stella. I hope you still have my PM information. I definitely would like to try your Stellar peppers. :wink:

Eric

stella1751
Greener Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Wow! Looking good Stella. I hope you still have my PM information. I definitely would like to try your Stellar peppers. :wink:

Eric
I am honored that you want to try these. Eric! Sometimes I think I make overly much of these guys, but I've just fallen in love with this variety of pepper. You never know what you'll get with 'em: Monster 10" long peppers with regular production or 6"-8" long ones on a plant that is almost breaking beneath all its produce. I love watching them grow!

Right now, I'm saving seeds from the two plants that are producing the longest peppers. Let me know if you would rather have seeds from the big producer.

I'll add those to your list and then next year probably hit you up for Music :-)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Keep on keepin on.

I just saved seeds from my neighbor who got some orange bells from Lowes last year. He saved seeds last year and grew them out. I am growing them out next year. They were different from last year we shall see what comes of them this coming year. If they normalize I will will call them CJ Orange. I call my neighbor Crazy Jason to differentiate him from my other neighbor who is a preacher named Jason. :lol:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Right now, I'm saving seeds from the two plants that are producing the longest peppers. Let me know if you would rather have seeds from the big producer.

I'll add those to your list and then next year probably hit you up for Music :-)
Go, take your sister then, by the hand
lead her away from this foreign land
Far away, where we might laugh again
We are leaving, you don't need us

And it's a fair wind, blowin' warm
out of the south over my shoulder
Guess I'll set a course and go

How about that for music, may I have some seeds now. :lol:

I'll take whatever pepper seeds you have enough to share.

Thanks
Eric

stella1751
Greener Thumb

gixxerific wrote:Keep on keepin on.

I just saved seeds from my neighbor who got some orange bells from Lowes last year. He saved seeds last year and grew them out. I am growing them out next year. They were different from last year we shall see what comes of them this coming year. If they normalize I will will call them CJ Orange. I call my neighbor Crazy Jason to differentiate him from my other neighbor who is a preacher named Jason. :lol:
Gix, that is an excellent idea! Once I get these stabilized, when they are producing consistently, I can rename them. They will be solely my own, right? In seven generations, they won't be a hybrid anymore. I won't have to call them by their five-word name anymore or the vague "HBC II's." Maybe I will go with Eric's "Stellar." That would be cool. "Oh, I am growing Habaneros, Jalapenos, and Stellars this year."

Maybe I can do it now, with the seed from this year's peppers. What do you think?

Eric, um, er, although your song was perfectly lovely and certainly brightened my morning, that's not exactly the Music I was thinking about :oops:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”