cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Going on Vacation...

So, I am leaving next week for the cooler temps of northern Minnesota... This brings much reliefe and fear of leaving the garden in my husbands though more than capable hands.

Too much water, everything dies, too little same thing. Water the seedlings gently husband, don't wash the seeds out of the pots... ugh. If I try to tell him how to do it, I get this look of "duh I can water a garden" all the while I am scared of what I will come home to. :roll:

Looking for advice while I am gone! Its just a week... not too much bad can happen right?????? :?

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Yup, I think thats what I am going to have to do... lord give me strength and patience... LOL!

stella1751
Greener Thumb

cherishedtiger wrote:So, I am leaving next week for the cooler temps of northern Minnesota... This brings much reliefe and fear of leaving the garden in my husbands though more than capable hands.

Too much water, everything dies, too little same thing. Water the seedlings gently husband, don't wash the seeds out of the pots... ugh. If I try to tell him how to do it, I get this look of "duh I can water a garden" all the while I am scared of what I will come home to. :roll:

Looking for advice while I am gone! Its just a week... not too much bad can happen right?????? :?
The last time I went on vacation during the garden season, I got a friend of a friend to take care of my garden. I wrote a detailed list of how I did things. I then walked the friend through the garden during watering time, showing her just how I did things.

I could tell by the look in her eyes that she thought I had OCD, and I strongly suspect she threw the list away as soon as I drove off. I worried myself sick while I was gone, but when I returned a week later, the garden was healthy and vibrant, the only difference being that the plants had grown.

When you're used to doing something a certain way, you get to thinking it's the only way. (Well, I do, anyway.) Your husband may have a different way of watering, and maybe a seed or two will in fact wash away. I'll bet your garden survives, though. It might even thrive.

I can still remember how excited I was when someone invented the crockpot. I LOVED coming home from work to a cooked dinner. Think of your husband as a garden crockpot. That's what it will be like for you. You will come home, and your plants will be bigger. Some might even be done :lol:

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Well I went over everything with him... he asked a lot of good questions which makes me think he actually paid attention :wink:

My garden is in good hands, luckily, he is one person who knows how much I love my garden and I think he kinda likes it too!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Your husband sounds like he's conscientious and will probably do a very good job of watering your garden :).

Like Stella said, although you have a specific way of doing things, that doesn't mean that it's the only way that will work. Anyway, it seems like he will at least do it somewhat how you like.

The best thing you can do is to just go out of town and not worry...think about all of the nice plants you will come back to :).

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:The best thing you can do is to just go out of town and not worry...think about all of the nice plants you will come back to :).
Well, You could always send the husband on vacation and stay home.

It's just another option. :wink: :lol:

Eric

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Nah I need this vacation!!! Hes got the garden all under control. Note, I type this as I sit in the airport waiting to take off for the vacation!!!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Have a nice vacation :D!

If it will give you peace of mind, you can have your husband install this: https://www.skywaysecurity.com/network-ip-camera-software.cfm

Watch your garden from anywhere in the world!

mtmickey

hehehehe This makes me think of a vacation we took a couple of years ago. My 19 year old son was the one staying at home that was given the job of keeping all the gardens watered. It was near the end of the season and we had a ton of potatoes in the ground. As is normal, the tops of the potatoes started dying off. My poor son called us while on vacation, almost in tears, because he was doing everything we told him, but the potatoes were not doing well. Gave us a good chuckle and he was VERY relieved when we told him that was normal and not to worry.

I'm sure your hubby will do just fine and you will be happy you took vacation.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Well I got home from an awesome vacation. Lets just say I needed it... Didnt get a chance to go out into the garden last night or this morning (got in late and had to be to work early). The plants in the green house are doing great and he says he watered the garden every other day and things looked good so I guess I will see what I can see today after work!
Pumpkins should be about ready to be picked and I probably have some peppers!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

That's great!

I'm glad you had a good time and that your garden was doing well the whole time. Maybe make your husband a special dinner with some of the produce he took such good care of :wink:.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

I may just have to bake him a pumpkin pie! We have been living off the peppers for some time now ;)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Pepper pumpkin pie!

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

:shock: :?
hmmm.... not sure about that one! ROFL!

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Since its already here... here is a trick question for you all...
Went on vacation, had planted beans, lettuce, and spinach. All from seed.
Beans are already 3+ inches tall, multiple leaves etc. Going great!
Spinach, nothing, lettuce, nothing...
It was almost 100 while I was gone, but they had just been planted, well watered, that shouldn't effect it right???
:?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”