brooklyn boy
Cool Member

Thanks for your help

I get it ,the answer is short&sweet: "Never cut watermelon stems. "

Anyway I tried it for the kicks! you know watermelons grow in NYC like snow in Miami...but I thought that maybe 1 plant in a 5 gallon bucket would grow at-least 1 edible melon.

thank you all above :roll:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

you know watermelons grow in NYC like snow in Miami...
Boy, do I know how that goes. Here at 5000 ft elevation we are cooler all season than many areas of lower elevation, so 75 day corn takes 100 days, etc.

It has been hit and miss growing water melons. If we happen to get an above average warm summer, I can get some good melons. Other years, not so good. Of the varieties I have tried, Charleston Grey is the best consistent producer. Right now we are looking at another week before frost. If there is no melons now there won't be.

Next time you plant melons, put them in the ground if you possibly can. Their roots will go out beyond the vine and six feet deep. Plant on the date of your last average frost in the spring. Feed them well. Don't plant near pumpkins nor winter squash. The squash will cover them up. (Don't ask how I know this.) Enjoy!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/jim_9.jpg[/img]

Here is a melon from a couple years back. Nothing like that this year.
If I can grow a melon, you should be able to. Good Luck.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

What kind of melon is that, Jal_UT? I'm at 6,000 feet, but I think my growing season is about the same length as yours (May 22 to September 19).

I haven't picked one since my last unhappy harvest. They, especially the Sugar Babies, have really been packing on the pounds lately. Based on the ten-day forecast, which is chancy, I think I will make it. I think I will get a ripe melon this year!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”