Clearwatermike
Newly Registered

Sweetest seedless watermelon

There's obviously a big difference in the sweetness and texture of seedless watermelon you buy in the store. I'm thinking of ordering some seed, but the descriptions for each variety is a little too positive sounding. Does anyone have any insight as to a really good seedless melon for central Florida? Thanks!

Tilde
Green Thumb

Chiming in "me too"!

I want to grow seedless watermellon (I know weirdo I am) but can only find it for $112 or so for seeds (big packet). I'd love to be able to find them in smaller quantities for my bitty back garden ...

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Well, I can't help the OP with what variety is the best (as I've yet to successfully grow any watermelon :lol:), but I can answer the second question as to where to get cheaper seeds.

[url=https://www.burpee.com/product/productListing.jsp?catId=3044&pageNum=0&pageSize=6&facetTrail=&sort=default&_requestid=1452073]Seedless Watermelons[/url]

There are several seedless varieties I saw, and they're much cheaper than $100!

Clearwatermike
Newly Registered

Here is a site that sells seeds for many varieties of seedless melons (not to mention tons of other things). While they do sell the >$100 seed packs, they also sell quantities of 100 for about $30, which isn't bad when you consider Burpees, Parks, etc. sell you 10 seeds (several of which are pollinators), for about $6. That's $1 per seed of actual seedless seeds! Maybe someone would like to split a 100-seed pack?
https://www.seedway.com/Pages/home.aspx

MrDeadPlant

I'm going to chime in on this one and I'm sorry that I sound bold.

Why would you want a seedless watermelon? In my eyes seedless watermelon doesn't exist. How can you get a seedless watermelon seeds and where did they come from? I sure wouldn't want them!

I have some Cherokee Moon and Stars seeds that I'm drying out right now from the watermelons I have grown and eaten. They were really really sweet and 12 other people who ate from my melons say its the best they ever had.

Tilde
Green Thumb

Thanks, clearwater. I think I just wasn't looking hard enough.

MrDeadPlant - my gardening is for fun but with the proliferation of seedless watermelons in the grocery stores in the US my house mates and other benefactors of my irregular harvests prefer the seedless variety over the seeded. In some ways I cater to their tastes, in others I use it as an opportunity to broaden their horizons and palates.

Originally, from what I read, Swm were made by muleing out other varieties; now I believe the seeds/plants grow/survive in complimentary pairs - I read something about flowering but not fruiting but honestly I was skimming and didn't get it all.

Here's this to chew on, too:

https://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/BP/BP-62.pdf

Clearwatermike
Newly Registered

Very interesting article! With difficult germination, maybe 100 seeds won't be too many afterall!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”