lilcee

Green beans taste woody

I live in North FL and grew green beans this year. Last year they were good, this year I got a good crop but they taste woody and stringy not like they were last year and they are the same kind - Blue Lake Bush Beans. They're not as tender. Does the weather or amount of water they get effect the taste of the veg? I wonder if they didn't get enough water?
We got a lot of beans off the plants, just didn't taste very good.

greenstubbs

You left them on the vine to long! I hate it when that happens.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, water and growing conditions can also affect the beans. They are best when the conditions are such that they develop quickly and fill out good.

I have tried several beans, both bush and climbers. I like the Jade Bush variety over all else. Give that one a try next year.

I had some Blue Lake pole beans this year and last week the conditions were dry and I couldn't water. The beans were wimpy and stringy as you say yours were. Earlier I got some nice beans from this planting.

lilcee

greenstubbs wrote:You left them on the vine to long! I hate it when that happens.
I don't think I left them on too long. They weren't big and fat, they were skinny but tasted woody.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”