RogueRose
Green Thumb

Brussel Sprout Help

Hey Everyone! I have a question about brussel sprouts. I planted my plants this spring and they're growing like weeds. They're about waist high and I had to stake all of them because they began falling over they were so tall. I would take off the leaves of the lower ones as the buttons started to come up and get big but now I have started to not take off the leaves and they're getting pretty tall. I'm a little concerned because the buttons don't seem to be getting that big. There was a period in time they seemed to grow quickly but it seems like button growth has plateued. I know they are more of a cool weather vegetable. Will they start to grow more once it gets cooler? We had some pretty hot days this summer and I'm worried that may have disrupted their growth some. Some are coming in loose...but most are coming in good and tight. Just not big. About the size of a fingernail. Maybe a tad bigger. There's even little plants sprouting at the base of some of the plants....and they really are about 3-4ft high! I just don't get why the buttons aren't doing any better.

Thanks in advance! All my other vegetables did GREAT this year!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Brussels sprouts are a cool/cold weather producer. This is why your plants are so leggy and nothing much is being made.

I live in zone 9 in New Orleans and just put my sprouts in last week. Last fall I had a very nice crop of sprouts but will not plant them in the spring as it gets too hot for them before long.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I consulted other gardeners in the area and they suggested planting them when I did because they said "they're slow growing"

I'm in zone 6-7 so I don't know if I put them in now if it would give them enough time....

I'll try planting them later next year though!

gardenvt
Green Thumb

The brussels sprouts should come along when the weather cools more. My brussels sprouts are at the same point you have described. Just let them be and they will be ready when the cool weather arrives.

I had the same issue with my broccoli and it came in really fast once it cooled a bit.

These plants kind of "hang out" until the weather is more to their liking.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”