RyNJ
Cool Member

Odd leaves on my zukes

[img]https://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/RyNJ/DSC01050.jpg[/img]

This isn't a problem, per se, since only 2 vines are starting new growth that looks like this, and with 2 vines gone I'd still have more zukes than I can handle. I just wanted to know if anyone thinks this funky, crinkly growth might indicate a larger problem. Seemed to start after Irene came through.

I got a little powdery mildew, so I've been spraying with a milk solution, if maybe that has to do with it.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

SVB's?

LLandry11

Well, I can tell you that I have noticed the exact same thing, just since Irene passed as well. My zukes seem perfectly fine though, so I'm not too worried about it. Interested to see if anybody has more of an explanation for this...

Avonnow
Green Thumb

This is a long shot, but I live in Florida and salt water will crinkle and fry a leaf in no time, I know I have salty water in my Artisan well and can't use it on my garden, if I get any spray over from my lawn on windy days - I see leaves like that and worse by noon when the heat is the worst. I wonder if Irene brought with it residue from the ocean, or just plain polution from the air, etc and maybe that coupled with heat is making the leafs look crappy. Its just a thought - we get tropical storms alot and alot of plants on beachside (even those that tolerate salt) can suffer from too much salt and the intense heat. Hope you figure it out.

On a positive note, I envy you for being able to grow zucc's and have entra to spare, have had no luck the last two years.

RyNJ
Cool Member

Oh no, Avonnow :( I hope your luck turns around! I almost didn't have any, got a nasty SVB infestation which was already onto the leaf-wilting stage, but I was unwilling to sacrifice the zukes! That was a rough couple hours cutting out the grubs. I checked the affected vines and there don't seem to be any SVBs in there, but I may have missed them if there are some.

Thanks for the info about your well, I thought it may have to do with Irene but I never would have thought of what about her. One is a stronger vine and one weaker, so I guess they just got unlucky.

They are looking pretty nasty, but one vine just set a fruit that SEEMS to have been well-pollinated and maturing properly. I'm prob gonna just pull it if the fruit begins to fail.

dirtyfingers
Cool Member

No "Irene" here but have the same looking leaves. I think it's from lack of water and/or excessive heat here. I just trimmed off the dried out leaves and the plants are still producing "baseball bats"! :shock:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”