Ruffsta
Green Thumb

which states are the best for..

which states are the best for vegetable gardening all year or most of the year? I ask because eventually I want to move out of this stupid state (been here most of my life) and honestly I am so sick of winter! stupid snow!

also, looking for a state that has jobs.. I mean I can't move to a place that jobs are hard to come by either...

I want to grow lots of plentiful vegetables..

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Maybe Hawaii, but you will need a box to get me off my island.

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Costa Rica! Land of eternal springtime. But unfortunately not a state. Southern california, South Carolina, non-mountainous parts of Arkansas.

When you get to the deep south like Mississipi and Florida, it's too hot in summer, lots of bugs, poor soils. Southwest (AZ, NM, TX) is too hot and dry. Parts of Missouri, Tennessee, North Carolina might not be totally year around gardening, but a lot closer than I have.

But I'm not speaking to the jobs issue, which I know nothing about. South Carolina seems like sort of my dream place, if I can't go to Costa Rica.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Well Ruffsta, Louisiana does offer year round gardening with very mild winters when compared to what you've experienced. However, summer is miserable with high heat and humidity. Most of the state suffers 90+ heat and humidity from early June until around mid September-----and that is a long time when you think about it.

As far as the job market, it all depends on what you do for a living. If you are a tradesman, you can find work if you are good at what you do. Like most of the country, we are in a downturn in the job market and a lot of jobs in this area are geared toward the tourist industry that don't really pay well or have any real benefits.

I've thought about parts of Arkansas and South Carolina more than once as a place to set roots. My last kid is now in college and a junior, so when she graduates and finds a job, the wife and I may decide to make a move.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Don't move to TN this is the sinus capitol of the world and soil is pretty bad. 300 days of rain on the average every year and 2 months of 100 degree weather with no rain in the summer and humidity in the 100% range 99% of the time. Mold, mildew, pollen is bad all the time.

I think every geographcal location has its advantaged and disadvantages. Illinois has good soil but winter is too long. Michigan has better soil be winter is longer. Arizona has bad soil but it is nice in the winter temperature 65 to 70 deg sunny with no clouds all winter down to 30 deg at night and NO sales tax on grocery store food. I have lived in all 4 places I vote for Arizona my parents, sisters, other relatives still live there they plant a garden in the winter about March crops are ready to harvest in May. The 110 deg summer weather is much nicer than you think humidity is 1% to 2% most of the time so it feels cooler than 90 degree TN and IL weather. You can stand under a shade tree in 70 deg weather and feel cold in AZ step out into the sun and feel warm it is so different it takes some getting use to. You can go to Flagstaff in 3 feet of snow with nothing but a long sleeve shirt on and it doesn't feel cold because humidity is so low. Go swimming in the mountain lakes in 110 deg weather step out of the water and your totally completely DRY in 90 seconds it is hard to believe.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

It's expensive here in southern California, high crime in some areas and the job market is not very good right now.
Other than that, we can always use more nice folks !

soil
Greener Thumb

you can pretty much grow anything in southern california. year around veggies and a whole slew of sub tropical and tropical plants. lots and lots and lots of people though.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Ruffsta wrote:also, looking for a state that has jobs.. I mean I can't move to a place that jobs are hard to come by either...

Make a living selling vegetables?

pickupguy07

Ruffsta wrote: also, looking for a state that has jobs.. I mean I can't move to a place that jobs are hard to come by either...

hhuumm good luck. Thats HARD to come by anywhere right now.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The grass is always greener.......................

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:The grass is always greener.......................
So true James, :D

Eric

pickupguy07

pickupguy07 wrote: hhuumm good luck. Thats HARD to come by anywhere right now.
Actually.. It depends on what kind of job you are looking for..
If ya wanna flip burgers,.. the restaurants are hiring all the time..
Non-skilled jobs are fairly plentiful. Of course pay is low.
If it is something that requires a college degree. The market is flooded with those type people. Older peole seems to have evn LESS of a chance of employment,.. and new college grads are just about shut out also.
If you want to work part time.. temp agencys can usually find you a place to work.
There' work out there... but for many people it is "beneath them" to do these. IMO

garudamon11

Come to UAE :) no winter to speak of, no bugs to eat your plants, LOTS of jobs for experienced foreigners, but you will have to bring gardening tools and seeds with you because its very hard to find those here

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

garudamon11 wrote:Come to UAE :) no winter to speak of, no bugs to eat your plants, LOTS of jobs for experienced foreigners, but you will have to bring gardening tools and seeds with you because its very hard to find those here
And bring a bag of soil for garudamon!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TheWaterbug wrote:
Ruffsta wrote:also, looking for a state that has jobs.. I mean I can't move to a place that jobs are hard to come by either...
Make a living selling vegetables?
If your looking for a job DO NOT go to Arizona. Read the book GRAPES OF WRATH and you will under stand why. The employeers take advantage of this, most jobs are minumum wage if you don't like it get out of the way there are 200 more people in line wanting this job. After college I tried for 25 years to get a job there but I finally gave up. Now I am retired so I can move back to AZ I don't need a job. My sister gave up trying to get a good job so she started a Nail Salon in her house and makes good money.

garudamon11

TheWaterbug wrote:And bring a bag of soil for garudamon!
Lol :D

Artemesia
Cool Member

Having lived and gardened all over the country, I recommend somewhere within a few hundred miles north of the Mason-Dixon line. Not too much cold and not too much warm. I also prefer closer to the Mississippi. Not too alkaline, not too acidic. Not too wet and not too dry. Good soil too.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Nope, I'm not moving. :P

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”