Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Planting bell peppers soon

What soil mixture would be best? I have other very successful bell pepper plants and I planted them 6 months ago, but I forgot what soil mixture I used.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Soil mixture are you talking about potted peppers?
The main thing is that you start with something serile like potting mix I prefer one without fertilizer, since the ones with fertilizer have too much nitrogen for peppers. I use general greenhouse mix, but you may not find it where you are. I add some extra perlite or vermiculite for good drainage as well as gypsom (calcium) and fish meal (what it buy is very high in phosporus) and a tiny bit of wood ash, because the fish meal has no potash according to the tests on it. I use large self watering pots so the soil doesn't go from wet to dry to wet again for the entire family (eggplant and tomatoes as well) I am sure others have their own favorite mixes. Just besure that you have more phosporous than nitrogen.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I'm planting 20 bell pepper plants in the garden (from seed). As I mentioned in another topic, caterpillars destroyed my tomato plants. So I'm putting tomatoes on hold for awhile and will be replacing them with bell peppers.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”