brooklyn boy
Cool Member

Watermelon female flowers dying ?

I finally had a female flower starting to grow between all the males well let me correct myself it hasn't gotten to the point where it was a full regular flower it started to get yellow on top of the small baby... where it would eventually become larger till the size of a flower instead that small yellow area turned brown (not the baby itself) does that mean that she aborted her baby ?

( my watermelon vine seem/growing healthy )

Its my first time growing melons...

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

that may be the case, also you are so far north that if a melon set it is very unlikely it would amount to anything. Sorry, we can only grow melons if we start them off in hot beds and leave them there and even so some years we get very few in the maritime pacific nw. Melons can be very hard to grow, I applaud you for trying.

brooklyn boy
Cool Member

CharlieBear wrote:that may be the case, also you are so far north that if a melon set it is very unlikely it would amount to anything. Sorry, we can only grow melons if we start them off in hot beds and leave them there and even so some years we get very few in the maritime pacific nw. Melons can be very hard to grow, I applaud you for trying.
yea I think your right the weather here cooled down a bit its mostly in the 70's ,but I tried to grow the icebox type melon (sugar baby in my case) where people have claimed some success even further north then me (in the forums) did you ever try any compact vine melons?

I firmly believe if I would start growing them in early June instead of early July I might have been successful

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”