lily51
Greener Thumb

What's here, there and everywhere

We have 4 raised beds for veggies, but evidentally have stumbled on a new way of growing cantaloupe. My only solution is that grandkids (and us, too) dropped seeds everywhere, or maybe it was birds, but there are melons growing all over the place. I just let them go to see what would happen, and now there are cantaloupe maturing around trees, along flower beds, by porch, by greenhouse. You name it, they're there. Saved on seeds and planting time ! Sometimes mistakes work out. :)

john gault
Green Thumb

I just did that with my leftover sunflower and sugarbaby watermelon seeds. Simply threw them in the mulch and now I got tons of SFs and WMs. They're like very leggy weeds, which is a good thing in this case.

BTW, I haven't bought these type seeds since last year, just keep harvesting them and replanting.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I did that with pumpkins. I had a bunch of rotten ones that I just threw in the compost. Well, one seed decided to sprout, grew over some bushes, then set-fruit in mid-air! It's turning out to be a nice little pumpkin!

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

I tried doing that... with many things... never ever seems to work for me :( I got to have the raised bed and compost and added nurtirents to the soil or nothing grows. Had a beautiful rosemary cutting that I attempted to plant, yup it died...
Oh well... guess its better I grow things where I plant them in the beds or containers...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”