PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Planting Marigolds in garden

Hi,

Do Marigolds really live up to the hype? I am thinking about planting some to keep some pests away, plus they look pretty. Anyway, is it better to plant along the borders or actually inside the garden? Should it be planted in between plants etc?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I think polyculture is best. :)

Eric

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

the short answer, is the newer hybirds actually attract pests, only the older heirloom types work at all. Don't bother, there are many things that work better like the allium family (garlic, onions, leeks and they work by confusing things with their scent) You could simply intercrop another way to confuse the pests. There are some companion plantings that seem to help like mustard with tomatoes and tomatoes in pot amoung the asparagus ferns.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Of course plant some marigolds. They are beautiful. The grasshoppers like them. If they are eating marigolds, they are not eating my beans. :)

john gault
Green Thumb

Bees/wasps love 'em also, I got tons of bees/wasps this year.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I've heard that too, that only some old French marigold works (if at all).
I think the petals can be used to color rice like saffron.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I have 'Queen Sophia' Marigolds. Is this a good one? I don't wanna plant many of them if they are not gonna help me though.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've heard all things about them: they repel bugs, they bring bugs, they do nothing :lol:.

The only scientific thing I've heard is that they have a compound produced by the roots that repels nematodes.

Insect benefits aside...they still look nice.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

When we lived in Minnesota my mother used to plant them all around the house to help fend against mosquito's (which up there are the size of small birds!) Not sure if it really helped any, as regardless of what bug spray or deterrent I use they still seem to find me. But she swore by it. And since she was the greatest woman on earth and knew everything I believe her! :wink:

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I am not sure about them. They look pretty and I wanna try them out. But I tihnk in my main garden I will use other plants as more of a pest control. I will plant marigolds in other places like in my front yard.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I plant them in my garden. They look nice and at least bring the bees.

I let them go to flower in my flower gardens last year I have thousands of them there now. :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”