Zapatay

Zone 5ers - Getting ready for 2nd planting season

I have never done this but what do I plant now for the cold season?

Do I plant them now and then transplant (ripping down the foliage of the previous plant)?

Do I start seeds inside to keep them cool? Or ok to start outside in shade?

What are the easy to grow cold crops & when do I start moving on them?

Should I buy ground covers?

WiscoGardener

I don't know if I'll be very helpful as this is the first year I did a fall planting. I planted broccoli and spinach from seeds outdoors. We had some open space after our radishes, carrots, and first round of spinach. If you don't have the extra space now, I would imagine that starting from seeds indoor would be fine but just be sure to harden them off before planting outdoors.

I think in our zone, starting broccoli at this point in the year will be cutting it close, but we had some extra space and our 1st round of broccoli got choked out by our out of control tomatoes. What are you planning to plant?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Zapatay wrote:I have never done this but what do I plant now for the cold season?

Do I plant them now and then transplant (ripping down the foliage of the previous plant)?

Do I start seeds inside to keep them cool? Or ok to start outside in shade?

What are the easy to grow cold crops & when do I start moving on them?

Should I buy ground covers?
I don't know when you first frost comes around or the size of your garden, but if limited space and time before the real cold weather hits, I'd suggest getting fall/winter plants already started at a local nursery.

This time of year is Cabbage, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, collard/mustard/turnip greens, spinach, swiss chard, snow peas, sugar snap peas, lettuces, radishes, carrots, onions, parsley, dill etc. Most of these plants will take some frost but prolonged below freezing weather is not a good thing.

Google what planting zone you are in and see what they recommend as a fall crop. The chart will tell you when to put in the seed directly in the ground or when to use the transplants you either start weeks before or get at the nursery.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Zapatay, I have been harvesting the potato patch thru this month - about 5 feet of the beds at a time. Also, onions have been pulled from about half the space they have been in since spring.

As the spuds are dug and the onions pulled, lettuce transplants and seed for Asian greens, radish and arugula have gone into the ground. I'm just about at the end of sowing seed for anything since we will be getting to freezing weather in about another month to 6 weeks. Even plants that can survive an entire winter of cold, won't grow much if frost comes often. So, I will begin very soon to thin plants that are coming up now and transplant them elsewhere as ground becomes available.

I have sown seed for Komatsuna, Choy Sum, Beka Santoh, Fun Jen, Gai Lan and various bok choys. All of these greens I have grown before but not all of them have been grown into the fall. I have grown bok choy spring, summer and fall for about 20 years.

Lettuce seed was started in containers in locations that had some afternoon shade. The starts have been transplanted out over a couple of weeks now.

I find it best to buy larger-size seed packets for most everything. Seed usually stays viable for a few years and having the seed on-hand makes it easy to sow it in limited amounts often, throughout the growing season.

Steve

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Peas are the best to plant now.. I would plant several types early and later peas ! I would put in a wide bed of lettuce radish and broccoli mixed. keep the raish thin so it does not shade the other plants too soon! After they all come upmove the broccoli and thin the radish more and have a nice lettuce bed for the fall! Kohlrabi s also a good late crop as is cabbage or califlower !
+++ I plant zucks in seed starter packs in a shady area and move them to hills when they get their first true leaves. I have two dozn coming up now! You can use small raised beds then convert them to cold frames when the nights get below 30 and extend the season for 30 days or more! I put in oak leaf lettuce today in a wide row mixed with two types of peas! I dug the potatoes out then made a raised row about 2 feet wide and put the letuce and peas in!

2cents
Green Thumb

This is definately time for late planting
I agree with everything others have mentioned.
Not sure if it is too hot for peas?
I just put out onion seeds, radishes, kolrabi, more zucchini

pickupguy07

I live in N Georgia, and started planting seeds in pots about 3 weeks ago.
Broccoli, cabbage, etc. Winter comes so late here. I am hoping I have the right timing. I am also planning on planting cauliflower, lettuce, and kale starting the first of the month

I plant one pot one week, then a week later I plant more of the same thing. I am hoping it makes then come in at different times.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”