ButterflyGarden

Mushrooms in my Carrot Containers?

I planted a few containers of carrots and they are now sprouting. Yesterday I walked out and saw that one container has mushrooms in it! All the containers have the same dirt and the seeds came from the same package. None of the other containers have mushrooms. Any idea what's going on?

Here is a picture of some of the mushrooms:

And when we pulled one up this is what it looked like:

Troppofoodgardener

I get the occasional toadstool growing in my veggie garden beds.

To my knowledge, there are no bad effects of isolated incidents of fungal sproutage - unless poisonous of course - but if anyone can prove me wrong please tell me!

I attribute the growth of toadstools/mushrooms to: constant damp soil, humidity and shade, as fungi prefer these conditions in which to grow.

Secondly, I also used mushroom compost in some of my beds. If you used some form of compost, there could be naturally-occurring fungal spores from which these mushrooms sprouted.

Lastly, just pluck out the mushrooms if they are bothering you. Maybe wear gloves? 8)

ButterflyGarden

How do I know if they are poisonous?

Also how could they have gotten there? They are growing in a container and I live on the 7th floor.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Mushrooms happen. Don't worry, just don't eat them.

When I see then I am actually happy. That means the soil is alive and doing it's thing.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”