bell7283

Pepper Question???

On the seed package I grew it showed the pepper in Red and Green. If I want the pepper to turn red do I just leave it on the plant longer?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Most will turn red as they get sweeter or more mature!

bell7283

I did pick some green ones today they were good. But ill leave some to turn red. Thank you.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's kind of a trade off. The fully ripe red ones are sweeter and mellower. But if you leave the peppers on the plant to get red, it tends to slow it down from producing more peppers. So you can have quantity or quality (presuming you like the sweeter ones better), but not both.

bell7283

oh boy, now I have a hard choice to make.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Usually the warmer nights in August help them turn red faster. If you see like 6 to 8 peppers on one plant you can let a few go to red in august! I would say early in thje season leavng them on too lonk with deter growth but later I don't think it will slow them down as much especially if there are alot of flowers or small peppers!

gardenvt
Green Thumb

We let ours turn red and we have been enjoying them here for about a month. Ours go right until frost so we feel we can wait for the reds. I also put some away by dehydrating them. They keep a long time and when rehydrated, they taste like fresh.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”