sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I have a section I can plant a fall crop

WHAT should I plant? I 've never done a fall crop before! radishes won't grow there, so thats out. suggestions please! :)

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I would put a nice row of peas the sugar snap variety and maybe early variety also!! Cylinder Beets an broccoli will work great! Definitely several types of lettuce including the semi head type like butter crunch! Try also oak leaf! Tom Thumb is also a small head type! I would wait about two more weeks for the lettuce or when there is alot of rain! Cabbage the eary type should work great even the red cabbage since cabbage tolirates cold well just plant a wide row and thin it later! I am getting ready for alot of stuff even zucks will grow quick. I am putting 100 zucks in this week!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But Bobber is in PA and you are in MAINE!! Don't even think about zucchini!

But all the cool weather crops- lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, beets/chard, kohlrabi, turnips ....

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

What RBG said. I don't know when you get your first frost, but many of the crops she quoted do like a bit of frost. I was surprised how well my many varieties of leaf lettuce took the few below freezing nights we had here in New Orleans last fall.

None of my fall stuff died as a result, but I know your frosts come earlier and stay for a long time. Personally, if I lived in Maine, I'd have that stuff in the ground about now since many plants take at least a couple months to begin to produce. Good luck.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I'm kinda nearby you! I just planted some beets, broccoli, brussels sprouts and carrots! I plan on putting in some spinach as soon as I get an open container...

garden5
Super Green Thumb

It looks like everyone pretty much has all the bases covered. However, I'll throw in bush beans as a suggestion. You'll be cutting it close, but I think you'll be able to get at least one "flush" off of them...especially if you use some type of season-extender like a floating row cover.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”