jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Harvest Bucketfuls

Broccoli and Green Onions

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/broc_onion.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

Nice! How do you process the green onions?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I took this stuff to the Farmer's Market. The little green onions sell pretty good.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Love broccoli and it is a "must have" for my fall garden. Still much too hot to put them in the ground here though.

Now it's my turn to envy your gardening success. Most everything in my garden that is left is struggling with the heat and the last 2 weeks of almost daily rain. Okra and Yard Longs are loving it though. Everything else that I planted in the early spring is either gone or getting ready to go.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Beautiful produce there JAL. Looks healthy and good. I am with gumbo on the heat. Okra loves it but tomatoes, squash, beans are succombing.

Gumbo: Do you start broccoli (that is a crazy looking word) from seed?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Jal, great harvest. It's cool you have so much that you can take it to the market.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

They look really good James. I haven't been to the Farmers Market for three weeks. I'll have to force myself to go this Saturday.

How big do you make your onion bunches and at what price? Broccoli by the pound or per head?

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I put half a pound of green onions in a bunch for a dollar.

I put 14 oz (about) of broccoli in a bunch and sold for a dollar.

I weigh and package at home, can't sell by the pound because I don't have a tested and stamped scales. Everything is offered by the bunch or each, or two for a buck etc. I like to make the package a bucks worth, just for easy trading, and not having to mess with coins making change.

Sometimes I ask more than Supermarket prices for some items, but people seem willing to buy it because its fresh and not covered with poisons.

I often wonder what shoppers are looking for at a farmers market, a good buy, or fresh local produce?

I have some nice big onions that weigh a pound each. I asked $2 each for them and some people would buy them. I may try asking a buck and see if they move better. I guess its whatever the traffic will bear?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

We don't get the kind of heat many of you do. We have only had a few days in the 90s this season. It has mostly been in the upper 80s. The broccoli is doing great right now and I expect it to continue to produce until frost.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Nice, hope the market trip was good.

Hard to believe people are growing broccoli.

soil
Greener Thumb

how cold are your summer nights on average jal

anyways good stuff as always.

gardenbean

Wow wished my broccoli got that big! But still proud of myself for attempting to grow it in the garden and it actually grew and my family ate it! :shock:

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

gardenbean wrote:But still proud of myself for attempting to grow it in the garden and it actually grew and my family ate it! :shock:
That's the important part

garden5
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:
I often wonder what shoppers are looking for at a farmers market, a good buy, or fresh local produce?
Jal, you should find [url=https://agmarketing.extension.psu.edu/ComFarmMkt/PDFs/FarmMktConsTrends.pdf]this[/url] a good read.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Jal, you should find this a good read.
That was an interesting read G5. YMMV from state to state, city to city, neighborhood to neighborhood. :wink:

Customers: White educated female over the age of 51. Yes, that about sums it up. Most of the vendors ( Farmers) are of this age bracket also. The farm interns of course are in their young to mid twenties.

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”