cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

There was a basic question a few posts back that hasn't been answered yet.

"Wheat seeds" = wheat berries = whole wheat kernels. Purchase them by the quarter-pound or whatever quantity seems reasonable to you at an organic foods store.

"Growing wheat grass" = sprouting wheat berries, but letting them grow in a more organized fashion so they don't grow into a hopeless tangle.

So, if you know how to sprout seeds (alfalfa?), you've got the basics for this process.

No, I haven't "gotten into" wheatgrass or anything like that. I have sprouted alfalfa seeds for sandwiches, throwing into omelets, and other uses.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Artemesia
Cool Member

I Googled a little. Here is just a simple comparison. Literature for wheatgrass is all over the map so I only used the most reputable sources I could find. We could argue data sources for ever, but with so much discrepency, I am always skeptical.

% daily requirement:

1 cup of collards 880% of vitamin K and 57% of C and folate 40% and 20% of calcium

1 cup wheatgrass 60% K and 3% C and 10% folate and 5% calcium
Last edited by Artemesia on Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

soil
Greener Thumb

literature for wheatgrass is all over the map because it is highly dependent on the quality of the soil. poor sterile soil isnt going to have much in the way of fertility, that lack of fertility is transferred to the plant and in turn the juice. some people simply do not get that through their heads when doing these type of studies and grow the WG in plain peat and perlite. for example, some scientists say "lets test this apple and see how good it is for you, but lets just use any apple not the best one we can find". so the results come out that apples are just ok, not so great maybe. when really a apple that was grown with care is 10x higher in nutrients and minerals than the study showed.

not trying to argue, its just there is a lot of BS when it comes to wheatgrass. a lot of it coming from people who have never tried it. have you ever taken wheatgrass? if so for how long? just curious

have a good day :)

Artemesia
Cool Member

For about 1 year, I drank around 4-6 oz per day. I gave it up because I found better ways to solve my health problems.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”