sixshooter

wheat grass

Has anyone ever grown this for wheat grass juice? Apparently it grows in the winter even? Take me to school on wheat grass if you have first hand experience.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

I am assuming you are talking about spring wheat, by the this. Generally you plant it much closer together in a pot or flat then you would outside in the ground for a grain crop. You can then grow it in a south facing window or under lights. Harvest when it is the correct size.

soil
Greener Thumb

wheatgrass juice is by far the most amazing thing I have taken for my health. it makes you feel invincible once you take it for a good few weeks.

sixshooter

soil wrote:wheatgrass juice is by far the most amazing thing I have taken for my health. it makes you feel invincible once you take it for a good few weeks.
Where did you get it from? Id love to make my own. Ill have to try it from a health food store.

soil
Greener Thumb

I grow it myself, it would be far too expensive to buy it at 2-5$ a shot each day.

I use hard red wheat berries from the health food store, I used to buy "sprouting" wheat berries but ended up with the same results cheaper with the store berries.

it is amazing stuff, taste funny but makes you feel good.

take it for 2 weeks before you decide to quit. it takes a little time to get that full invincible feeling.

and even the expensive juicers can be made up for in price in no time. we paid 200 for an omega juicer. we had 4 people doing wheatgrass. we made up for the price of the juicer in a few weeks. and it makes tons of other things like fruit pastes, juicing veggies, pastas, nut butters, and more.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Soil, that's really interesting!

What kinds of health effects has it had on you.

soil
Greener Thumb

increased energy, increased stamina, increased brain functions, clearer thoughts, the list goes on. I didnt say it was the best for no reason.

sixshooter

So...do you buy wheat grass seeds? Can I grow them outdoors?

soil
Greener Thumb

yes you buy wheat grass seeds, they don't appear out of thin air.

yes you can grow them outdoors.

google growing wheatgrass. there are dozens and dozens of videos and even more websites that explain it very well.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Soil, do/can you eat the grass, or do you have to juice it first? Will any old juicer do, or do I need one specifically for grasses?

Oh, and while I'm on a roll, are there different types of wheat grass? Are some better than others?

OK, I'm done asking questions now, lol.

soil
Greener Thumb

Soil, do/can you eat the grass, or do you have to juice it first? Will any old juicer do, or do I need one specifically for grasses?
you do not eat the grass, we do not have the stomachs to process them. we can however process the nutrient rich juice.

I find you get more out of your wheatgrass with a wheatgrass juicer. we spent a little extra to get one that does other things as well. we got the omega juicer which runs about 200$. it may sound expensive but it makes wheatgrass, applesauce, frozen fruit puree, juices veggies, makes nut butters, makes pasta, and more. even if that still sounds expensive. 3 people taking wheatgrass daily made up for the price in less than a month compared to what it would have cost to buy wheatgrass from a store everyday. so really in the long run your saving tons of money, that's not even taking into account all the health issues that you wont have to deal with either which saves even more cash and hassle.
Oh, and while I'm on a roll, are there different types of wheat grass? Are some better than others?
there are different "types" of wheatgrass. but to give you more options you can also juice barleygrass, kamut grass, and pretty much any whole grain grass. each have slightly different nutrients they are more rich in.

I will say that its not for everyone, mostly not for lazy people. for those dedicated though they will reap the rewards wheatgrass gives, and I can tell you the rewards are plentiful.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the informative answers! $200 for a juicer that does all that doesn't sound bad at all.

This sounds like something I'd be interested in getting into.

I found [url=https://goneraw.com/forum/wheatgrass-overrated-anyone-have-personal-success-wheatgrass]this blog post[/url] wondering about it and the majority of the commentators really like it.

soil
Greener Thumb

anyone who is skeptical about wheatgrass has not taken it at all, or has not taken it long enough. sure after a shot or two youll feel ok, maybe good. but after a few weeks to a month, that's when you feel amazing.

it also depends on the soil, the wheatgrass can only take up what is there, it cant make minerals out of nothing, so using a mineral rich soil gives the best results. poor soil will not give as good of results.

Artemesia
Cool Member

Wheatgrass has very very very little nutrition. It isn't the wheatgrass that has unusual properties, It's the Tilletia caries that has phytohormones. This fungus only grows in very hot humid conditions.

soil
Greener Thumb

Wheatgrass has very very very little nutrition. It isn't the wheatgrass that has unusual properties, It's the Tilletia caries that has phytohormones. This fungus only grows in very hot humid conditions.
where do you get your info from? there are dozens of studies that say otherwise.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

There was a basic question a few posts back that hasn't been answered yet.

"Wheat seeds" = wheat berries = whole wheat kernels. Purchase them by the quarter-pound or whatever quantity seems reasonable to you at an organic foods store.

"Growing wheat grass" = sprouting wheat berries, but letting them grow in a more organized fashion so they don't grow into a hopeless tangle.

So, if you know how to sprout seeds (alfalfa?), you've got the basics for this process.

No, I haven't "gotten into" wheatgrass or anything like that. I have sprouted alfalfa seeds for sandwiches, throwing into omelets, and other uses.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Artemesia
Cool Member

I Googled a little. Here is just a simple comparison. Literature for wheatgrass is all over the map so I only used the most reputable sources I could find. We could argue data sources for ever, but with so much discrepency, I am always skeptical.

% daily requirement:

1 cup of collards 880% of vitamin K and 57% of C and folate 40% and 20% of calcium

1 cup wheatgrass 60% K and 3% C and 10% folate and 5% calcium
Last edited by Artemesia on Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

soil
Greener Thumb

literature for wheatgrass is all over the map because it is highly dependent on the quality of the soil. poor sterile soil isnt going to have much in the way of fertility, that lack of fertility is transferred to the plant and in turn the juice. some people simply do not get that through their heads when doing these type of studies and grow the WG in plain peat and perlite. for example, some scientists say "lets test this apple and see how good it is for you, but lets just use any apple not the best one we can find". so the results come out that apples are just ok, not so great maybe. when really a apple that was grown with care is 10x higher in nutrients and minerals than the study showed.

not trying to argue, its just there is a lot of BS when it comes to wheatgrass. a lot of it coming from people who have never tried it. have you ever taken wheatgrass? if so for how long? just curious

have a good day :)

Artemesia
Cool Member

For about 1 year, I drank around 4-6 oz per day. I gave it up because I found better ways to solve my health problems.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”