stella1751
Greener Thumb

garden5 wrote:I too have heard that peppers that grow in hotter, dryer climates have more heat than peppers that grow in cooler, wetter ones.
I have a theory; don't laugh. It's my belief that if you under-water your peppers, you get super hot ones; if you over-water them, you get less heat.

I've been under-watering my Super Chilies this year. I put them in the window boxes at the front base of two of my 5 x 5 raised beds. Generally, I put flowers there, but this year I wanted to experiment with these little ornamentals instead. I have five pepper plants crammed together in each 1' x 5' window box. They're out by the sidewalk and easy to forget about. Whenever I do chance to remember them, poking a finger at their soil, it is as dry as a bone :oops:

The other day ago, I asked the neighbor's grandson, a hot pepper aficionado, to do a taste test for me. Because I prefer a mild pepper, I didn't want to take a chance on these peppers, which are on the hot side of medium heat normally. He took one bite, chewed for a split second and ran for the house with Grandma and his mother yelling at him to get milk.

I think my neighbor will speak to me again once the memory has faded. I do know I kept telling the kid to throw the rest away. The last time I saw him, he was holding half a Super Chile aloft as his mother drove him away. I suspect a friend, um, ate the rest.

Anyway, after decades of growng hot peppers, having dud years and five-alarm years, I really believe watering has an influence on heat level 8)

wiscopeppers

has anyone seen a purple/brown scotch bonnet? I have 20 of these plants growing, and have been expecting the peppers to turn red, I went out this morning and there are a dozen or so fruit that are a deep deep purple almost brown. I googled purple scotch bonnet and the only thing I found was pictures of chocolate hab's, but these are shaped much more like scotch bonnets than habaneros. maybe they just aren't ripe yet? these seeds came from the same place that sold me the "ghost peppers", so maybe I should just assume that nothing I'm growing from them is what it's supposed to be :)

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Frequently peppers turn a purplish brown before they change to their final color. I have some HBC II's right now that are a rich brown. When they are done changing, they will be bright red.

wiscopeppers

good to know, maybe I'll give them some time and see what happens. thanks.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've got some jalapenos that get dark spots on them. This seems to be a natural thing for them, so I'm not worried about it. They still taste the same.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”