arroyo
Newly Registered

what is killing my zucchini?

I have zucchinis, eggplants and tomatoes, fairly densely planted in a raised bed garden. The zucchini's aren't on hills and I water by hose - sometimes in the evening - all of which I now know can encourage fungi/mildew. But its hot and dry here. The leaves are wilting off badly - yellowing and dying. (see pics) Now the fruit are also yellowing and wasting when small. (see pic) I thought it was a fungus but don't see it. No obvious pests. (I think I have fusarium wilt on my tomatoes too :( I saw some recipes for baking soda spray so I made up some of that.

any advice gratefully appreciated.

BTW - I'm not finding instructions on how to load images to this forum. is there a way to upload images here that do not already have a url? I'm trying below and if that doesn't work, I've put my pics (3) on picasa at
https://picasaweb.google.com/SGCPenny/S ... ini31jul11 - if you can be bothered ;)

Image[/img]

arroyo
Newly Registered

well, my attempt at image posting was obviously unsuccessful :(

arroyo
Newly Registered

but the picasa link works :)

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I've got the same problem. I'm not too worried about it, the drought we are in is slowly killing everything here, even with watering. I had a bad case of squash bugs in mine and did a rescue spray but I think I have too many other problems for them to live now. The rotting of the fruit is a pollination problem.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

BTW - I'm not finding instructions on how to load images to this forum.
Sorry I can't help you with that squash problem. I have never seen anything like it. Looked at your pics on Picasa.

You can't upload pics directly to this forum. You can put your pics on a server that allows linking, then use the img tags in your post to display the picture in your post.

You just use the following line in your post [img]url%20of%20the%20picture[/img]

If you do not have a server that allows linking, try photobucket.com

Welcome to the forum.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

It's hard to tell by looking at individual parts.

The first pic of the little squash looks like it may have been poor pollination.

Perhaps if you posted a pic of the entire plant we may be able to tell better.

Audrock
Newly Registered

Darling, you have the same problem I have...and I figured out what it is. You have ZUCCHINI BEETLES!!! Yes, I'm sorry to say.

Check the undersides of the leaves, I bet you find little clusters of reddish-brown eggs. If you don't, consider yourself lucky. These guys are naaasty looking beetles.

I've tried Seven dust on them, and I'm going to see how well that works. (I even sprinkled it on the underside of the leaves on the eggs). I've also heard if you rub Garlic on the stems and leaves (I plan to make a garlic spray), they are repelled (little vampires?). I am going to try a combo of very hot pepper and garlic and add it to either oil or water and try spraying that on.

I'll let you know how it works.
arroyo wrote:I have zucchinis, eggplants and tomatoes, fairly densely planted in a raised bed garden. The zucchini's aren't on hills and I water by hose - sometimes in the evening - all of which I now know can encourage fungi/mildew. But its hot and dry here. The leaves are wilting off badly - yellowing and dying. (see pics) Now the fruit are also yellowing and wasting when small. (see pic) I thought it was a fungus but don't see it. No obvious pests. (I think I have fusarium wilt on my tomatoes too :( I saw some recipes for baking soda spray so I made up some of that.

any advice gratefully appreciated.

BTW - I'm not finding instructions on how to load images to this forum. is there a way to upload images here that do not already have a url? I'm trying below and if that doesn't work, I've put my pics (3) on picasa at
https://picasaweb.google.com/SGCPenny/S ... ini31jul11 - if you can be bothered ;)

Image[/img]

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Tips and Tricks for New Members: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=23

One of the topics is how to post photos; others are similarly helpful. :D

Cynthia H.
Mod

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”