CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Beets, lettuce, daikon, chard in a pot to take in latter, turnips. Had hoped not to have to do much fall gardening, but the one beet row didn't do much and the daikon wasn't white (black) and turnips 1/2 bolted of the early crop. Lettuce and chard will go into small greenhouse in pots as experiment.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I finally got off my rump, not really I had so much other stuff going on in the garden. But I pulled most of my potatoes, they were a bust. :x Than got some peas and more beans going, fingers crossed on the beans. Oh yeah I pulled all my first planted beans as well, another bust. I also put in Brussels Sprouts I started a way's back, I will try to get some lettuce and spinach going we shall see about time and space though.

We are in the shirking garden stage. Things are coming out but than again other things are going in. It won't be long and most everything will be gone except for garlic.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Planted my garlic today for harvest next May or June. I've replanted my summer squash and cucumbers for fall harvest. They germinate okay, but then look at the thermometer which has said 110 for a long time. They then lay over and die. I've planted the cukes three times and each time I just hope for some cooler weather when they germinate. I also have both growing under lights for planting out when it is cool enough. My tomato plants are just hanging on waiting for cooler weather. Most of them put on some small tomatoes in July, but they have stopped growing and just shrivel up in the heat. I have my beds and seed ready to plant some varieties of lettuce, but it would be a waste of time to plant it right now. Maybe early September will be better for lettuce. The nice thing about lettuce is you can harvest it until the first hard freeze arrives. The head lettuce like Romaine will get burned by the cold weather, but not killed. When spring arrives, it will start growing new heads for a spring harvest. I get a much better spring crop of head lettuce by planting in the fall and letting it freeze. I guess the roots are already established when it warms enough to grow in the spring. My carrots were so lousy this summer, I haven't decided if I will plant any this fall for a spring crop. The extremely hot weather caused all my carrots to become balls of hair roots with tiny carrots at the center instead of full sized carrots.

It should be an interesting fall garden if fall ever arrives.

Ted

WiscoGardener

Just planted another round of spinach and a few more broccoli plants. In my area, this is being hopeful that summer will stick around for awhile longer! I know it's a little late, but my fingers are crossed that the frost will hold off long enough for the broccoli. The spinach shouldn't be a problem, but I've never done any late summer planting so we'll see.

Tilde
Green Thumb

Is it too late for corn in zone 10? I've heard it's intensive, but Lowes has little plants going - figured in my five gal buckets I could use them for fall peas ...

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Well, I just got some free space in the garden about a week or so ago. However, first frost for me is usually around mid-October, so I think it's probably too late for a fall garden crop. However, I pick up some radish seeds for a dollar and give it a try just for the fun of it.

garudamon11

I bought sweet onion seeds and I'm planning to plant them at the end of this month, I've also got strawberry seeds that I extracted from strawberries myself, I'm quite excited to see them grow.

TWC015

I recently set out 35 Brassica plants. Most of them are cauliflower, but I also have broccoli, cabbage, and mustard. Hopefully, many of them will live to maturity, but grasshoppers are eating a few of them.

I need to sow seeds for carrots, onions, and kohlrabi soon as well.

LaDonna
Newly Registered

They are very mild, I have a picture but haven't figured out how to upload pics yet. They are very prolific. Smaller than a Anaheim I think.

garudamon11

LaDonna wrote:They are very mild, I have a picture but haven't figured out how to upload pics yet. They are very prolific. Smaller than a Anaheim I think.
Go to imageshack.com and simply click upload and browse for the image.
I find imageshack the bets site because it doesnt remove your images like photobucket oro ther sites.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Radish, beets, carrots, lettuce, kale, garlic, green onions, black cherry tomato, cilantro, parsely.

Still got some serrano, red bell, and green bell growing. Some basil is still growing. I also planted some flower and herb seeds to get a head start for next year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”