smaxey843
Cool Member

I bought my wife a basil plant, and wound up addicted

so after getting a basil plant, I got an oregano plant, and then got a ton of seeds, and early last week I had just those two. today I have these :

Peas, planted according to the packet's directions :

[img]https://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu238/smaxey843/Gardening%20pictures/IMG_0594.jpg[/img]

cucumbers, planted according to the packet's directions :

[img]https://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu238/smaxey843/Gardening%20pictures/IMG_0600.jpg[/img]
the cutter is for scale.

also interesting about the cuces, some plants are stuck on their own seeds, check it out :

[img]https://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu238/smaxey843/Gardening%20pictures/IMG_0588.jpg[/img]

I had no idea the cucumbers would be so successful, how should I move these into their own space? how much space should these take? I exclusively container garden due to the whole second story apartment situation I have going on.

I'm trying to start some tomatoes from seed as well but they're the sweet 100's kind and I'm not sucessful yet with those.

I"m a first time grower of anything. so far I've got some buckets I got from a deli and a bag of potting soil and just following the directions. having a huge blast but I'm kinda lost on how to care for them now esp. since space is a limitation. I'm looking for anyone's take on the situation.

thanks !!

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Oregano is a perennial, so it should survive the winter for you. Seed shells stuck to the cucumber sprouts is normal. Some folks pull those off, but I've read advice to let them come off naturally. I don't know if you have enough growing season left for cucumbers or peas in S. Carolina. Peas are a cool season crop and might do well in the fall. Cucumbers like it warm. It would be too late for me here, but S. Carolina might have enough season left. If nothing else, you'll have fun growing them and be prepared to plant earlier next year.

When the cukes have developed true leaves, you can carefully separate them after dropping the whole planting out of the pot. Put them in the ground with lots of water for the first few days. When you see growth again, fertilize.

Those are my suggestions, anyway :)

Oops! I forgot that you are stuck with containers. Each cucumber plant will require a large pot and preferably, something to support the plants as they grow. You can just let them sprawl where they want.

mmmfloorpie

One of those cukes will be more than enough for one person! lol.

smaxey843
Cool Member

Org:
Thanks for all that information! I'll leave the cucumber seeds on and admire them, How much room do they need do you think? 5gallon buckets?

I'm not sure about the temp needs of cucumbers, but hopefully we can get one or two of them before they die off for the season. I definitely jumped into this without looking, but I'm still enjoying it entirely.

also, what are " true Leaves" and what willl they look like??

floorpie: can you elaborate on what you mean ??

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I'd say you could get away with 3-4 gallon buckets, but 5 gallon would be ideal.

I'm in a hurry, but just look for different shaped leaves. They'll be obvious.

smaxey843
Cool Member

thanks for your time org slow down and smell the cucumbers :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

True leaves are all the leaves on the plant except the seed leaves.

When the seed first germinates, the first two leaves it puts out are the seed leaves or cotyledons, which are differently shaped than its regular leaves. After that all the rest of the leaves are true leaves which have the shape typical for that plant.

The second picture down in the link below shows a cucumber seedling with the cotyledons and the first two true leaves:

https://www.thedailynom.com/?cat=7&paged=3

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”