teaal4
Newly Registered

Is it too late to plant pumpkin seeds??

I have been soo busy lately I completely forgot to plant pumpkin seeds for Halloween!! Yikes!
I live in central Illinois. Does anyone know if I could still try to grow them in time for Halloween use?

Thanks in advance!
A

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

If you're going to try, I'd go to the local nursery and see if they have any pumpkin plants that are already 2-3 weeks old.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, too late to plant pumkin seeds for Halloween. Jack o Lantern type pumpkins usually have a days to maturity of 100 - 120 days (and I think that is from when the seed sprouts). That puts it well in to November. If you don't mind having the little miniature pumpkins, they go a bit faster. Or as noted above, look for well started plants in a nursery.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yes it is too late.

I planted some a 2 -3 weeks ago and that was probably too late. No pumpkins yet but the vines are getting big. The watermelon I planted at the same time has a tiny fruit on it.

This is pushing it.

I don't can't recall ever seeing pumpkin plants in nursery's. They may have them.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Way too late in this country. I have about 45 days left until frost. Pumpkins take around 120. You may do better to plant some spinach and plan on buying a pumpkin.

teaal4
Newly Registered

That's what I was afraid of!! Darn it!
Thanks...

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Googling for "first frost Central Illinois" [url=https://www.isws.illinois.edu/hilites/press/firstfallfrost100101.asp]returns this map[/url], with an "October 14" line squiggling across the middle, which is 76 days from today.

But then the article notes that the first frost date has been as recorded as much as 3 weeks earlier or later than that average date over a 30 year period.

So if you were to find a 3-week old plant at a nursery of a 90 day variety, you'd have better than a 50/50 chance of making it, and somewhat less than that of a 100 day variety.

Give it a shot! The worst possible outcome is that you harvest a green pumpkin in early October :)

teaal4
Newly Registered

Thanks everyone!
And to 'The Waterbug' I might jut go for it! lol!

A

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”