gardenbean

Eggplant Update Please

Ok, I have three large plants growing like crazy with several flowers om each. We have been in heat wave here the last 14 days or and my eggplants are loving it!!

Anyway, this morning as I was watering I came across my first actual "eggplant" (as I have neve grown one before) and they are totally awesome. It's larger than a golf ball, smaller than a baseball and very purple :lol: I'm so happy!!!

I gotta get my kids to show me how to take pictures and get them posted up here :roll: because a picture is a thousand words!!

and ps-I have come to the conclusion that eggplants arent that diffcult to grow after all. All they need is the heat and keeping those nasty colorado bettle bugs away.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Good for you on your eggplant success. I grow 3-4 varieties each year starting in early spring.

I have Ichiban, which are similar in size and shape to a nice slicing cucumber, then there's the larger purple variety that you normally see in the markets called Black Beauty. I have one variety I can't remember the name of that only grow to about 3-4 inches long, are purple and white in color and are shaped like a thin pear. I grill them and the Ichiban most of the time and the Black Beauty will go to making eggplant parmesan, fried eggplant sticks or slices and the ever popular eggplant/shrimp/cheese casserole.

Mine are suffering a bit right now since we've been getting almost daily rains for the past couple weeks and my ground is like a swamp right now.

I'll be looking out for you pics once your kids teach you how--------I've got computer savvy ones too, unlike me.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Mine look terrible from the multitude of holes from flea beetles plus the munching of Japanese beetles and other critters. In spite of the poor appearance, we have had a steady stream of egg plant fruits for at least two months. They seem to have slowed down a bit in the extreme heat, but they are still blooming and I would expect the fruit production to pick back up. I grow ichiban and also grow a green colored variety whose fruit is longer than that of ichiban but has a similar shape.

Father's Daughter
Cool Member

I have five Italian violet plants that are doing quite well now that the hotter weather is here. Picked the first two last night, and will probably have another five or six ready within the next week.

gardenbean

I'm growing the Black Beatuy variety because at the time I didn't really believe I could grow a eggplant and that there are many varities of them to choose from.

Now that I have actual fruit on them should I be on the watch for the same "critters" who attack tomatoes since both are in the same family??

Having lots of fun growing them and beginning to look up recipes to cook with. And yes my children will be teaching me how to post up pics to the board. :wink:

SOB
Green Thumb

How big are the Black Beauty fruit supposed to get before I pick them? I have one that is well over the size of a softball (with many others close in size) and I've been waiting thinking that it will get longer but it's only growing fat like a pumpkin!

Do I need to pick these or wait longer?

gardenvt
Green Thumb

We've been harvesting eggplants all month. We are growing Rosa Bianca, Beatrice and Nadia. Nadia is good in casseroles or ratatouille but not so great on the grill. Beatrice is almost as tasty as Rosa Bianca but much smaller.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

SOB wrote:How big are the Black Beauty fruit supposed to get before I pick them? I have one that is well over the size of a softball (with many others close in size) and I've been waiting thinking that it will get longer but it's only growing fat like a pumpkin!

That's about the size I picked mine since they too weren't getting much longer. I find my eggplant and bell peppers don't generally get as large as what you see in supermarkets. My Ichiban got to be what you find in markets but the Black Beauty variety only got about 2/3 as big. I find the longer you let them sit on the bush, the larger and tougher the seeds get in the fruit.

Now, my tomatoes, okra, cucumbers, squash, beans etc. all get market size for me.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

SOB wrote:How big are the Black Beauty fruit supposed to get before I pick them? I have one that is well over the size of a softball (with many others close in size) and I've been waiting thinking that it will get longer but it's only growing fat like a pumpkin!

That's about the size I picked mine since they too weren't getting much longer. I find my eggplant and bell peppers don't generally get as large as what you see in supermarkets. My Ichiban got to be what you find in markets but the Black Beauty variety only got about 2/3 as big. I find the longer you let them sit on the bush, the larger and tougher the seeds get in the fruit.

Now, my tomatoes, okra, cucumbers, squash, beans etc. all get market size for me.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Sorry about the double post. I just got finished changing heating elements in my water heater and am trying to cool off while the water heats to take a shower and get clean. Must be a little heavy handed this afternoon.

SOB
Green Thumb

No worries gumbo, I appreciate the advice. I talked to a couple people at work and they too told me to pick them. I am making some all homemade sauce (well, everything but salt, pepper and olive oil) so I think I might try to make some eggplant lasagna. Any good recipes?

Sorry if this was a thread hijack...

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

SOB wrote:No worries gumbo, I appreciate the advice. I talked to a couple people at work and they too told me to pick them. I am making some all homemade sauce (well, everything but salt, pepper and olive oil) so I think I might try to make some eggplant lasagna. Any good recipes?

Sorry if this was a thread hijack...
I've never done eggplant lasagna but have done Eggplant Parmesan many times and it is a very good dish and much cheaper than Veal. I use Swiss Chard for my vegetable lasagna since it is a great substitute for spinach.

This is basically how I make it. First I make a rich, thick red gravy. Everybody has their favorite so I won't go into detail.

I'll take the eggplant and slice them in about 1/2" thick slices and do this with the skin on. Then dredge them in a couple beaten eggs then into a bowl with Italian Bread Crumbs to completely cover the eggplant slices. Lightly brown them in some olive oil but do not cook them all the way through, remove and place on some paper towels until they are all finished cooking.

Now place them in a baking dish and cover with some of your red gravy, sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese to taste and I like to add a little layer of Mozzarella Cheese just for the heck of it and bake it at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

I'll serve this over some Angle Hair pasta and have a nice Italian or Caesar Salad and Garlic Bread with it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”