barnhardt9999

Just Moved - Too late for ...?

I just moved and left my garden behind. Other than a couple tomato plants I brought with me, I have nothing but a big sunny backyard with lots of gardening potential and grass I don't want to cut. Any ideas of what I can plant this late (zone 7b). I was thinking about trying some pumpkins, winter squash and brussle sprouts. Is it too late?

soil
Greener Thumb

try planting some eatable perennial plants for next year and the years to come.

applestar
Mod

We were just the other day talking about what to plant now in this thread :
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38342

TWC015

Pumpkins and winter squash are probably a little too late. They really slow down in October with the cooler temperatures and decreasing daylight. You can, of course, still try them to see how they do.

Brussels Sprouts are probably fine as long as you start the seeds ASAP. They take at least 4 months to harvest when started from seed. If you don't get any sprouts before the cold comes, don't pull up the plants; you will likely still get sprouts in February when it warms up a bit. Brussels Sprouts overwinter here without protection and I expect them to do the same in your location. They will then flower in March though.

You still have time for other fall crops as well. The seeds need to be started soon, however. I'm getting ready to plant broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, beets, lettuce, and a few other vegetables. Most need to be started now, some can go as late as early September.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

First thing I would do is till the garden spot every day for 2 weeks to kill all the grass. Add plenty of LIME for tomatoes.

It is not too late to plant tomatoes, squash, beans, corn, peas all the 65 day and 75 day crops. We have frost here in TN the last week of Oct so where you live you probably have 3 full months of growing season left.

I always plant a second crop the first week of August every year. I have to water every day to get the seeds to sprout and grow but in a few more weeks it starts getting cooler and the cool weather makes the plants grow large and fast.

This is the way to kill grass and weeds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_pTYMIFXqg
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john gault
Green Thumb

barnhardt9999 wrote:I just moved and left my garden behind. Other than a couple tomato plants I brought with me, I have nothing but a big sunny backyard with lots of gardening potential and grass I don't want to cut. Any ideas of what I can plant this late (zone 7b). I was thinking about trying some pumpkins, winter squash and brussle sprouts. Is it too late?
I also hate cutting grass! I mulch around all trees and all my various garden spots. The grass I do have is a nice contrast to the brown mulch. So if nothing else I would recommend digging up the grass and applying a heavy layer of mulch, usually landscaping companies are more than happy to get rid of leaves, just give them a call.

That's my strategy, build up the soil, then determine what to plant.

BTW, I never killed the grass with any chemicals, just put the "green side" facing down and cover with a heavy layer of mulch...

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Your best bet is to plant crops that mature sooner since you are starting late in the season. Here is a nice list of [url=https://www.harvestwizard.com/2009/02/quick-maturing_vegetable_varie.html]Fast Maturing Vegetables[/url]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”