The Bearded Farmer

PA farmers... Late season corn??

Is it to late to plant corn?? I have a pretty sizeable area to plant since my beans finished up. I'd like to throw some corn in but I'm not sure if its to late.

I'm in zone 6/7 the average first freeze date is October 20th.

Any thought or am I nuts? nutz:

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

I'm wayyy across the country in California, but I'm going to try a second patch of corn. I just finished breaking up the soil, so I can plant soon.

I bought some Bodacious seed, a 75 day variety, and I'm aiming for harvest on October 23rd, which is when we are planning to have a pre-Halloween party.

Counting backwards 75 days puts me at August 8th for planting, but I'm wondering if the relatively cooler weather and shorter days in Sep/Oct is going to make the corn mature later.

I could put it in as early as tomorrow if it were the right thing to do.

Does later planting mean longer to maturity? Or just smaller ears?

2cents
Green Thumb

If you have an ideal spot, corn is possible
I'm SW Ohio and after July 4th is difficult, but I've had some limited success

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I'm growing Yukon Chief this year. It's a 55-day heirloom corn that gets only 3 feet high. The neighbor across the street felt duty bound to tell me that it hadn't made "knee high by the fourth of July," and I told her it depended upon whose knees one meant :lol:

I planted the first planting on June 1, and it should be ready in two weeks. I haven't tasted it yet so can't tell you how good it is. It seems to really like this heat we have had this year and has survived a major hail storm. For hardiness in adverse climates, it's a great corn!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”