anndev

Zone 6a question

My peas and beets did really well this year and I'd love to plant again for a fall crop.

When do you usually sow the seeds for a fall crop of these veggies?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I'm looking at a guide for zones 5-6 that has bean fall planting between July 25 - Aug 5. Doesn't say anything for peas wich is odd. Remember this is a generalization. You are 6a in Conn I am 5b in middle Mo I am pretty sure are climates are vastly different.

Your best bet is to contact you local extension office they wold have the info you are looking for.

Tried to find something from you local Coop but it isn't very helpful. Or I didn't look in the right place. I couldn't find planting dates anywhere. Out Coop has tons of info on that as do others while some just don't.

Here is a link to it https://www.ladybug.uconn.edu/factsheets/index.html

2cents
Green Thumb

I'm 6a as well although we don't have the advantage of the Ocean influence.
Anytime in August works here, if it isn't extremely dry.
Beets into September, but don't expect the same quantity or quality as the spring

anndev

Thanks a bunch!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"Wando Pea Plants are resistant to heat and make a great variety for growing late into the summer. Ready for harvest in 70 days."

You need to know your average date of first frost, then back up the appropriate number of days for planting. I will warn you though that as the days cool toward fall the plants may take longer to produce than spring planted plants. I would add 14 days to that 70 day variety, so 84 days before your avg frost date would be a good time to plant.

Beets are said to be a 60 day crop. Again I would add some time for the fall crop. Of course it depends on how large you want your beets. Golf ball size or softball size? Larger sizes will take longer. You could plant them the same day as your peas and do well.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”