DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Garlic cloves per bulb

Garlic count,

I'm curious what your average clove count is per bulb. Lets make a list of the types you grow and average clove per bulb.

I've only grown Music. The average this year is 6.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20produce/GarlicMusicJuly24th2011.jpg[/img]
These four are above average, they are in the 7 to 8.

Eric

BP

I planted some last fall that came from a bulb from the grocery store so I don't know what kind they are, but the 2 I have pulled both had 6 cloves, but they are only slightly larger than a golf ball.

soil
Greener Thumb

I have garlics that range from 4-12 each. some a bit more when they get that outer edge of cloves going on.

applestar
Mod

Are you talking about the small cloves that are hanging around the outside of the "paper"? So many had those growing and I didn't know what to make of them (Primarily on Music, I think). Some came off when I was pulling the bulb out of the ground and got left buried.

What do you think? I suppose I could save them along with the main garlic "set" cloves to be planted. They are sometimes less than 1/4 size of the big seed cloves and really too tiny to do much with. Their "skin" is tough and thick.

soil
Greener Thumb

yea pretty much. they can be treated just as the bigger cloves as far as eating goes. I prefer to pickle the small cloves for quick snacks.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

My Klaver averages 5 big cloves while my Chesnok has around 10.

applestar
Mod

Hmmm, pickled garlic, you say?
Do tell us more and/or post the recipe in the Recipes Forum. 8)

Don't forget best way to eat/accompaniments for serving please as sometimes that kind of information is crucial. :wink:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”