hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

How do you make your garlic last until next year's harvest?

I was about to start this thread, and when looking at another garlic thread, the same question was asked. Still think that it may be better to have the topic discussed as a separate thread.

This year I'm trying a few different things. The first two years of growing garlic, we just made do with somewhat dry, sprouting garlic in February through April, before pulling some early garlic from the garden and using them like spring onions stem and all.

For the current season I'm using three or four strategies. The totally new thing is mincing the garlic, placing it in an ice tray in single portion sizes and covering with olive oil before freezing. I understand that this method prevents freezer burn and holds the garlic quality very well for many months storage. Since this is a first, will report the results when we start using the minced garlic and olive oil cubes. Doesn't seem however that this is much different from saving pesto cubes, and those hold up very well for at least six months.

Also this year, I'm starting some of my garlic early. The cloves have been moved to the refrigerator and are being chill treated so that they will begin to sprout as soon as put in the ground in September. That means the plants should produce a healthy amount of top growth to allow harvest through the winter and early spring. This planting will be in addition to my normal planting used to grow mature bulbs.

Finally I'll also over plant a bit on the November planted bulbs, so that they as well will provide scallion like plants for harvest in mid to late spring.

With the combination of these three approaches, I think that we will have plenty of superior garlic flavor 12 months per year.

Does anyone have another storage solution that gives excellent results so that garlic remains high quality during the winter to early spring period when my paper bag stored garlic always becomes dry and is sprouting?

soil
Greener Thumb

with the right varieties, proper curing and good storage garlic will last a while. I still have some from last years harvest that has not begun to sprout or get soft.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I have the same problem. One variety is going bad that it barely makes it to winter, the other is done for by early spring. I usually switchover to storebought or use dried garlic then (I dehydrate what I grow). Late summer and fall I have lots of baked garlic and put up pickled garlic.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

soil wrote:with the right varieties, proper curing and good storage garlic will last a while. I still have some from last years harvest that has not begun to sprout or get soft.
Soil has it right there. Some variety's will only last 4 months or so others will last until spring. Certain types will last longer than others and than within those types (meaning Porcelain, Rocamble, Silverskin, Creole, Purple Stripe etc) certain variety's will keep longer as well.

There is a wealth of good info on https://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/overview.htm
This page described in detail the history of garlic as well as the difference and keeping qualities of garlic. A good read.
Last edited by gixxerific on Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soil
Greener Thumb

link doesnt work. :cry:

applestar
Mod

Fixed the link -- there was a period "." on the end. :wink:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:I like to freeze cleaned garlic cloves to pull out when needed. Whole unpeeled heads can be frozen, too, but since I rarely use a whole head at once, I like the clove method.
I puree garlic with vegetable oil and put it in a plastic freezer container. When I need a bit of garlic I can just scrape off what I need with a spoon without thawing, and add it to the recipe.
Freezing is okay to do just wanted to throw this out there. Garlic and oil don't mix. As I said freezing is okay and limited refrigeration is okay but limited is the key and DO NOT have garlic and oil stored at room temp. When not kept at the proper temp this mixture is a haven for botulism a possibly deadly bacteria. Just want to make it clear though freezing is good leaving out on the counter is bad. Want to make sure people don't start mixing with oil without the proper climate. :lol:

Here is one of many results on Google.
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fy487

Gotta keep my family safe. :wink: That means all of you as well.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Gix, thanks for that link on the garlic varieties. Lots of good info there.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Gix, thanks for that link on the garlic varieties. Lots of good info there.
You are welcome James. And don't thank me I should be thanking you for all the stuff I have learned from you.:D

That is a great site though. :wink: Keep digging on there cause the info keeps growing.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”