SPierce
Greener Thumb

help with my pumpkins!

I thought it was, but apparently not. My pumpkin plant has this thing that's been attacking it, leaf by leaf by leaf. Do any of you guys have any idea as to what it is? I've tried spraying with a milk solution (4 days apart, 2 applications) and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I've now lost the first 8 leaves on my vine, and it's working it's way up to the newer growth (not affected yet, but speckled like in the pic). There's no bugs around, other than bees that I've noticed.

This is an old photo of the plant- all these leaves are now dead and I pulled them off the vine... it didn't look like the powdery mildew that I had on my zucchini, and it isn't attaching itself to the actual vine stems, either.

Anyone have any ideas on what this is, and what I can do to combat it, or should I just pull my plant and plant a new one? The pumpkin next door is also affected, but it's shorter and not as bad... but I'd rather not have to pull that one, either :/

[img]https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/Liskarialeman/Pumpkin.jpg[/img]

Here's as of this morning:
[img]https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/Liskarialeman/Pumpkin-1.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/Liskarialeman/Pumpkin-2-1.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/Liskarialeman/Pumpkin-3.jpg[/img]
Last edited by SPierce on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Embarrassed bump... :oops:

I've searched all over the place, and I can't figure it out... does anyone have any ideas? I'm slowly watching my pumpkin plants die away :(

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I can't offer a detailed answer, because I'm on my phone, but have you examined under the leaves for very small insects? Could be something as simple as aphids, or something more difficult, like scale. Also, carefully check the base of the stems, near the soil surface, for entry holes of the larvae of the squash vine borer, known on the forums as "SVB".

HTH! :)

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Kisal wrote:I can't offer a detailed answer, because I'm on my phone, but have you examined under the leaves for very small insects? Could be something as simple as aphids, or something more difficult, like scale. Also, carefully check the base of the stems, near the soil surface, for entry holes of the larvae of the squash vine borer, known on the forums as "SVB".

HTH! :)
Thank you :D I've been checking religiously for SVBs, and there's no tell tale signs of them. I've also been searching for for insects on the stems and the leaves, but aside from the regular flying things I've seen on the flowers (and figured to be pollinators but I'm not sure what they are!) there aren't any strange insects around them. I haven't seen any eggs, and the leaves feel normal, no abnormalities. I realized when I post the thread that, the powdery mildew that I clearly had on my zucchini, was very clearly not the stuff I had on my pumpkins, hence my frustrations. I thought it was maybe downy mildew, but that doesn't match either.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

One last bump, then I'll leave it. The top plant is dead and gone; I've only got the smaller one on the bottom left.

wacky-gardner
Newly Registered

It looks like a vitamin deficiency, try spraying what is left with compost tea or a fish emulsion. I would also spray the tops and undersides of the leaves with a stream of water to rinse off any microscopic bugs, you can also spray down the stems as well.

What is the plant doing exactly, are the leaves dying off one by one? or is the whole plant dying. In most cases this is a SVB, but if you have check and see no frass anywhere then that leave bugs and nutrient deficency.

My advice is to spray down the plant, give it a good organic fertilizer, and good daily waterings. Good Luck!!!

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

SPierce wrote:One last bump, then I'll leave it. The top plant is dead and gone; I've only got the smaller one on the bottom left.
Even if there are no signs of SVBs, it might be worth an autopsy. Cut into the vines and take a look. There might be something inside worth killing, even if only for revenge's sake. :evil:

SPierce
Greener Thumb

wacky-gardner wrote:It looks like a vitamin deficiency, try spraying what is left with compost tea or a fish emulsion. I would also spray the tops and undersides of the leaves with a stream of water to rinse off any microscopic bugs, you can also spray down the stems as well.

What is the plant doing exactly, are the leaves dying off one by one? or is the whole plant dying. In most cases this is a SVB, but if you have check and see no frass anywhere then that leave bugs and nutrient deficency.

My advice is to spray down the plant, give it a good organic fertilizer, and good daily waterings. Good Luck!!!
The leaves are dying off one by one.... the vine itself is OK. I'll try to tackle it iwth a fish emulsion or a compost tea... the local home depot has Alaska Fish Fertilizer... is this OK to buy and apply? Should I apply it to the leaves, or just to the roots?
Last edited by SPierce on Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

TheWaterbug wrote:
SPierce wrote:One last bump, then I'll leave it. The top plant is dead and gone; I've only got the smaller one on the bottom left.
Even if there are no signs of SVBs, it might be worth an autopsy. Cut into the vines and take a look. There might be something inside worth killing, even if only for revenge's sake. :evil:
Too late! I already tossed it... augh! I hope it's something as easy as a nutrient definiceny...

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Good news- it was a food issue! :D My plants don't exactly look healthy, but the dying leaves have halted for the moment., and there's noticeable growth on the vines, and they're still flowering. I'm at least a little relived, but I guess not giving them food is a bad idea! Hopefully I'll still manage a pumpkin this year :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”