shaefins

Help me with Bt application, please!

This is for SVB. Do I inject the hollow leaf stems, the hollow main stem or both of them? How much do I inject if I'm not sure where the grub(s) are? Can I just fill everything up and make sure I covered all bases?

TIA!

wacky-gardner
Newly Registered

There are a couple ways you can do this. I use all of them.

1. mix water and BT in a cup and use a syringe to inject the solution into the hollow part of the main stem. It will be a little ways up

2. inject into the left stems about a 1/3 the way up this will coat down to the bottom

3. spray the whole plant, base, leaves, stems etc. depending on the rain you can do this about once a week

good luck, the SVB is very hard to battle. I just keep monitoring daily and look for signs of worms. So far I have been lucky to find them before any major damage

One piece of advice. I have found the majority of worms in the leaf stem this year. I notice that the leaf starts to yellow and die. I cut off the stem at the base and them check to make sure the worm has not entered. Throw the leaf stem in the garbage. If you want to open the stem up to see the worm, do it away from the garden. The worm is very tiny at this point so you may not see it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”