Aorourke
Cool Member

Beans turning yellow, Leaves and fruit!

o.k. I may also know the answer to this but I'm probably in denile.

At the start of the season I grew snow peas but they all turned yellow on me and died. So I pulled them all and planted Green beans (not sure of the type). I grew these from plants, the peas were grown from seeds.

I was advised that I had a virus and to burn the peas, but I didn't follow the advice (sorry if you are reading this) and saw the beans in the nursery and couldn't resist! So for the past month or so they have been growing like weeds and no yellowing so I thought they were doing fine, until this week. The beans are growing fruit, but they are more yellow than great. I have one that is 1/2' wide and it's more yellow and also the little ones have a yellow tinge also.

Is this still disease or do they need more fertilizer or something?

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Yellow leaves in beans could mean you are in need of some nitrogen. Try that and if they don't perk up you may have a disease.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Are you saying just the beans are yellow. Did you happen to buy a yellow bean variety.

This is one of many 1/2" wide yellow bean
https://www.territorialseed.com/product/11578/pole_bean_seed

Eric

Aorourke
Cool Member

Just looked at the name stick and they are kentucky wonder, so yes they are yellow beans! Panic over. I think I assumed That since the peas died on me the beans would eventually too! They bottom leave are a bit yellow so I'll give them a little shot of nitrogen.

Thanks for helping me think of the more positive side!!

Soo happy now!! :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Kentucky Wonder yellow?

https://www.territorialseed.com/product/505/pole_bean_seed

Maybe there are different types of Kentucky Wonders. :?

Eric

Aorourke
Cool Member

Hmm now I'm not too sure, as those ones look green. I'll try some nitrogen and see what happens. They are growing beside cucumbers and pumpkins so thought that that would be enough. Maybe not as the cucumber were shaded with the broccoli that I have now pulled because I was late in harvesting and they turned to flower. So the cucumbers should now grow a bit faster.

I'll still try the nitrogen and see how it goes.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Be very stingy with nitrogen during hot weather and give the plants plenty of water. You are pretty far north you might not have much worry with hot weather.

I never fertilize anything from June to late August but temperatures here are in the 90s in June and 100 in July and August.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Glad you are alright I wish I could say the same. My beans are going down one after another. The whole plant just dies. And the beans that are coming in, yes they are yellow beans, even they are sickly and not edible. :cry: :cry:

Aorourke
Cool Member

Well the last couple of weeks we have been having hot weather. We had 42 with the humidex Thursday and Friday. I have given then some fertilizer, hope I haven't over done it. Just sprinkled a handful all over. I will water this evening as it's not rained in 5 days. Time will tell how they grow!

The lettuce that's in front of them seem to be doing well, not sure if they can with stand more than the beans.

I try to read up but most of it doesn't stay in my head, if I physically do something I will remember a lot more. So I'm learning the harder way.

What is keeping me going this year is that I have an abundance of tomatoes coming in, waiting on the first of the cherries to turn red, some are yellow/red (hope that is normal). Didn't realize that I had a type of beefeater until I read up about it after seeing them grow to a fist size and still green! So lots of sauce, paste and oven fried tomatoes to make!! :D

Aorourke
Cool Member

Right I have now added fertaliser and they are still turning yellow. The cucumbers beside them have a yellow tinge as well.

Here is a photo of some beans and cucumbers picked a little while ago.

[img]https://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh323/ameorko/Vegetables/DSCF7879.jpg[/img]

Also the beans are a bit pink at the edges if that's of any use.

Any more Ideas on what is going on?
thanks!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”