CharlieBear
Green Thumb

tomatillo help please

Every year we try to plant something or some variety of some vegetable we have never watched grow. This year-the tomatillo. It is taking over the cold frame admirably. The problem is I have never had a tomitillo so how do I know when the pick them. It is just loaded - by the way.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

The fruit will fill out to completely fill the outer layer plus the fruit will start to turn a somewhat warm creamy color. Once they start to turn, don't leave the fruit on the plant too long. Also, it is o.k. to harvest any time that the tomatillo fills out and has decent size. The flavor is more tart when they are greener and is a little less acid as the fruit ripens.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Yes, Alex is right on.

Some of 2010 harvest
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20produce/DSC02806.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20produce/DSC02565.jpg[/img]

Much sweeter when light yellow.

Eric

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Thanks, now if you can tell me what to do with them after the harvest that does not require onions or peppers (allergins) it would be greatly appreciated. We have never had any.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

You could make some salsa verde, though it would be pretty tame with no onions or shallots and no jalapeno. But I think that you could probably invent a salsa that satisfies your requirement, and that is fairly tasty as well.

I just googled 'tomatillo recipes' and got a ton of hits. So do a little exploring and get a little adventurous. Maybe you will hit on a real winner!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”