marley01
Newly Registered

Identify this egg???

I don't know if these are eggs for sure, but I check my garden multiple times a day for pests and just found these on one zucchini leaf.. the leaf was much more yellow than the other leaves in the plant if that matters. I ripped the whole leaf off from the bottom and smashed the eggs or whatever they are by rolling over them with a pipe.

They are pretty small and sort of goldish. I inspected the other leaves and surrounding plants and found nothing. Wondering what they are and if I can expect my plant to die...?

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/paycheck/photo1.jpg[/img]

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Common leaf footed squash bug. Squish those eggs and look all around the plant both on top of and below the leaves. Sometimes it is more effective to just tear out a small portion of the leaf with the eggs attached. Also, spray the entire plant with a cool stream of water. Wait for a minute or two and you should see the adult bugs move out of hiding. They are grey, long shield shaped bugs. When hit with the water they move very slowly and can very easily be caught and squished. While looking pay attention for the orange or grey immature stages. They also should be squished where they stand. The immature bugs are very soft bodied and easy to squish. They will often be in small herds of 15-25 which emerged from the same egg cluster.

marley01
Newly Registered

Wow thank you very much for the information! I will try spraying them with the water and see if I can get some of the adults squished. Hopefully they won't do much damage to the zucchini or watermelon planted nearby. Thanks again.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”