funingarden

sugar baby watermelon

I planted sugar baby watermelon and was wondering how to tell when they are ready and how big they get if anyone knows....here is a picture of what it looks like now

[img]https://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/picturefun2829/things%20from%20the%20garden%20today/DSC02633.jpg[/img]

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

With watermelons usually you look for a "yellow" patch on the bottom of the melons before you would concider picking, then thump them with your fist lightly and if they sound rather hallow they are usually ready. How big they get depends on weather, water and when they set, so there is no help there.

funingarden

ok ty

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I worked in a 40 acre water mellon field one summer. They told us, roll the water mellon over if it is yellow on the bottom it is ripe. If it is white on the bottom roll it back over.

When I buy mellons at the grocery store I always look for a yellow bottom.

funingarden

thanks I think this one is done then cause the pick I have is the underside of the watermelon

BP

That's not very much yellow, I'd give it more time. I grew mine on a trellis last year so that method was useless to me, but the one I went by after picking my largest too early was suggested by someone here. The tendril closest to the fruit needs to be completely dry and brown. I believe someone said it was ready then, but I waited 2 more weeks before I took this one off the vine just to be safe. For size comparison, this sugar baby is next to honey rock cantaloupe.
[img]https://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb9/BP991/garden%202010/064.jpg[/img]

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

I agree, the stem is still way too green, wait for that brown up some more.

funingarden

thanks I will let it go for a little while longer then, just cant wait to eat it

BP

I picked my biggest one last year after the tendril was brown for a week and the inside was still about 25% green. Watermelons are agonizing to wait on, but we have to

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”