sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

what happens if I miss 1 SVB egg on my plant?

or 2? is that enough to kill the plant? or does it need to be a ton of borers to kill it? I'm picking eggs off the plants, but gosh, it seems like it is super easy to miss some ya know?

Fig3825

Where are you finding the eggs? Underside of the leaves? My squash are just starting to take off and you've got me worried. Do I need to be wary of them in Virginia? I didn't even have substantial plants until recently and I'm hoping since my raised beds were built just this year, with new soil from the nursery hauled in, I might not have to worry?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

mostly on the stems is where I've seen them... some on the leaves, underside and on top as well.

Fig3825

I went out and checked mine after I looked up what to look for. Didn't see anything. Whew!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not good news, but I think it only takes one or two of the SVB larvae to kill your plant... That's why they say sometimes you can save your plant by finding the hole in the stem where the frass is, cutting a slit and pulling the larva out. I haven't done that, but I think it is only one.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

when I did that last year, I had 3 in the stem that I pulled out. the other plants well, they produced a lot of squash already and I didnt catch it in time before it started wilting. I wish I had known that they overwinter in the soil or I would have pulled those bad boys OUT! so now I can the luxury of having them this year as well :( normally they don't come up this way. we had an extra early and hot spring last year.

wacky-gardner
Newly Registered

The best thing to do is check the plant as best you can and remove any eggs, it is easy to miss one but you will find most. I also look for any spots on the stem base that look suspicious. I have been finding a very tiny just hatched worm. I just take a knife and scrape it out then inject BT into the hole. I have not had any further damage in that spot.

One thing I have noticed is the worms entering through the left stalk. Any yellowing leaves I see I cut off and about half the time I find a tiny tiny worm inside.

shaefins

When you inject BT...what are you injecting it into? The tissue of the stalk, or into the hollow section?

wacky-gardner
Newly Registered

I inject it at several points on the plant, the main stem which is hollow where it thickens (youll have to poke around a little till you find the spot). because there are so many leaves, I just spray the leaf stalks, or you can wait to see one start to yellow and then cut it off at the base. You may or may not find the worm becuase it is so tiny at this point. Just throw it out in the trash not compost and continue to monitor

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

good info. I will look for the leaf thing later today :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”