GardenRN
Greener Thumb

blanching for seed collection

Does anyone know if blanching tomatoes to remove the skins will kill the seeds? I'd like to collect all of the seeds I can from a specific type of tomato in my garden this year but I am using them for canning and obviously want to get the skins off. So if the tomatoes are only in the boiling water for a couple of minutes do we think the seeds will be ok?

Or does someone know hoe to get the skins off of a squished tomato?

The only other option I could think of was to squish out the seeds, start cooking down the tomatoes and just fish out the skins as I am stirring/cooking the tomato sauce.

Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'm thinking you would be fine. Blanching, A quick dip in hot water, then into cold water. Right? The center probably doesn't get that warm.

I would just test one. Blanch, peel off the skin and slice in half. How hot does it feel.

Eric

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I tested it a couple of years ago when I accidently tossed a couple of tomatoes with "FOR SEED" written on them into the blanching pot. I blanch until I see some skin split which is only about 30 seconds...the seed from those germinated just fine. Get the hot fruit into ice water fast though.

Can you throw a cut up tomato into the blanching pot? Yes, you lose some seeds/juice but its not as messy as you might think. I will often cut the green shoulders and catfacing off before blanching.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”