gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Pepperonchini's from a pizza box?

The guy up the road with the veggie stand was asking me the other day about his pepperonchini's. He was saying he liked the ones the Papa Johns has in there pizza box. And was wondering if they pickle them or how they get the way they are all nice and soft. I didn't have an answer I just said those ones in your hand are fresh and who knows where those Papa' peppers come from or what they go through.

Any ideas on this? Are they pickled do you think or what?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

sorry this should have gone in "off topic" or "what doesn't fit elsewhere" :oops:

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Every pepproncini I have ever seen has been pickled. I suspect that Papa John's comes in 5 gallon buckets from Pizza Supply Depot rather than being specially grown in Tuscany just for them. From what I understand it is difficult for home canners to get the right texture when pickling a peck of pizza peppers... something about chemical soaks and canning temperatures used by the food industy.

Beansie_time

Boil 1 part water, 2 parts vinegar, and salt and sugar to taste. Then pour it over the peppers and seal in a jar. Wait. Eat. You will love them.

Beansie_time

It helps if you poke slits through the peppers with a small knife to let the air out of them and the liquid in.

losingamy
Newly Registered

The peppers are definitely pickled, and come in bags from the supplier, probably buckets for the larger/busier stores. They come out of the bag, into a container, then into the box after the pizza is cut. If there is some company secret, then it's one that is done before they get to the store. I'd give Beansie's suggestion a try.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I grew pepperoncini last year. Like a lot of people, I really like the pickled ones but, I'm not a pickler ;) . Still, I thought that they would be an interesting little sweet pepper to try.

They were. However, there are others that I prefer fresh - like Giant Marconi - but then, that's not a little sweet pepper.

What surprised me about them is that they are wrinkled. I thought pepperoncini are wrinkled in the jar because they are pickled. No, they were wrinkled on the plants :roll: .

Steve

webmaster
Site Admin

I love pepperoncini but hate what goes in them. I was at the grocery store last week and read the labels and was disappointed to find they were all full of the nastiest sounding preservatives and chemicals. I'm not saying they all have it, but I'm certain most conventional brands have the chemicals, even the ones with fancy Italian names on the label.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:I love pepperoncini but hate what goes in them. I was at the grocery store last week and read the labels and was disappointed to find they were all full of the nastiest sounding preservatives and chemicals. I'm not saying they all have it, but I'm certain most conventional brands have the chemicals, even the ones with fancy Italian names on the label.
LOL kind of what I told him.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”