TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Beansie_time wrote:Sorry if this is too pic heavy
Heavens, no! I enjoy a little garden p0rn at the end of a really rough week.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Heavens, no! I enjoy a little garden p0rn at the end of a really rough week.
I thought this was
Thank you, although I must say I can't take all the credit for it. My teammates did a great job getting me the hose when I was open, and I was able to execute and put the seed in the hole.
and this
I hand-pollinated my first female pumpkin blossom this morning. It was very satisfying. For both of us. Seriously. Why would she lie to me?
:shock: :lol:
Eric

applestar
Mod

After nearly a week of heatwave in the 90's (102 today) and nights in the 80's, I found a whole big mess of hatched squash bug juvies and eggs! :evil:

The juvies have soft bloated ghostly white bodies with black legs and are easily squished if annoyingly capable of hiding on the OTHER IDE -- of leaf, stem, whatever. The eggs were firmly stuck onto the underside of the leaves, hugging the mid vein and annoyingly difficult to get off near the veins.

It was 85°F in the shade at 7:30 this morning. If I hadn't been watering the area with overhead oscillating sprinkler, I don't think I could have stood the heat in the sun nor the patience to persevere with the task. As it was, I was completely soaked by the time I called it quits. :lol: Also found 3 pairs of mating adults that no doubt are responsible. Hendi_Alex ws right in that they are all pretty docile and easy to capture and dispose of when the foliage is being watered. :twisted:

These bugs with elongated tan bodies and triangular black marking is new to my garden. I've had the Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs bothering the cucurbits but not these. No doubt the extended heatwave and drought is creating the kind of conditions that appeal to them. :x

soil
Greener Thumb

the squash bugs always multiply a lot about now. but in a few weeks so will the lizards and the bugs will be gone in no time.

on a good note my squash is setting fruit well. some already have 5-6 fruits set.

bogydave

Zucs doing well, both types.
Lots of pumpkins forming, 2 are about 8", several smaller.
[img]https://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/bogydave/broc7-23-11.jpg[/img]

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

TheWaterbug wrote:I hand-pollinated my first female pumpkin blossom this morning. It was very satisfying. For both of us. Seriously. Why would she lie to me?
It looks like it took:
[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3552590/FirstPumpkin072311_web.jpg[/img]
She's about the size of a goose egg or passion fruit right now. Mmmm. Passion fruit.

Anyway, back on topic. We're rapidly vining now, and I've got female flowers popping up all over the patch. I'll post an updated panorama in my other thread, hopefully later today.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Some of my PA Neck squash are getting some size to them. Lots of funny shapes too. The plants are overflowing everthing around them. The leaves are huge. I'm a bit scared of them actually. They are in soil that is shaded half the day and is in a low spot and staying moist so they think they are some sort of tropical elephant ear Tarzan vine.

I saw some melons today and my trellised Walmart butternuts are puting out fruit.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

my biggest pumpkin plant died today :( I still have no idea what killed it :?

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

SPierce wrote:my biggest pumpkin plant died today :( I still have no idea what killed it :?
:(

If you lived in CA I'd give you one of mine.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

TheWaterbug wrote:
SPierce wrote:my biggest pumpkin plant died today :( I still have no idea what killed it :?
:(

If you lived in CA I'd give you one of mine.
Aww, thanks! I put a few more seeds in the ground, but.... :/ I don't know what killed it. It's driving me nuts.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I am so sorry to hear this, SPierce. What a heartbreak. I suspect I am losing two tomato plants. Like you, I haven't a clue why. Later today, I will get a photo and post it in the tomato forum. Someone is bound to have seen this disease or whatever it is.

Today I had a female watermelon blossom! There were two male flowers, but I don't think they are mature yet. They aren't fully open. I took a chance, though, and squandered on of them on the female. Tomorrow, I will use the other one. I am desperate to get at least one mature watermelon this year!

SPierce
Greener Thumb

stella1751 wrote:
I am so sorry to hear this, SPierce. What a heartbreak. I suspect I am losing two tomato plants. Like you, I haven't a clue why. Later today, I will get a photo and post it in the tomato forum. Someone is bound to have seen this disease or whatever it is.

Today I had a female watermelon blossom! There were two male flowers, but I don't think they are mature yet. They aren't fully open. I took a chance, though, and squandered on of them on the female. Tomorrow, I will use the other one. I am desperate to get at least one mature watermelon this year!
Oh, I hope you get a watermelon! :D Post a photo if you do!

Thanks- I'm just confused. I spent the last 2 weeks frantically researching to to figure out what it was... and nada! there's all sorts of diseases, but none of the pictures match what I see going on out back! Oh well, I guess if all else fails I'll try to put some more seeds in the ground and see what happens. These have already been in for 2 months, and it's kinda heartbreaking to watch them slowly die and not be able to do anything...

hockeymom519

We went out yesterday to take pictures and measure our giant pumpkin. My 4 year old nicked the surface of the pumpkin with the yard stick. Will the pumpkin be ok?

stella1751
Greener Thumb

hockeymom519 wrote:We went out yesterday to take pictures and measure our giant pumpkin. My 4 year old nicked the surface of the pumpkin with the yard stick. Will the pumpkin be ok?
It should be fine. When I was studying pumpkins last year, I came across a site that said some people actually carve their names into pumpkins early in their development. As the pumpkin grows, the scar becomes more pronounced, and the mature pumpkin has a big old name in it :-)

hockeymom519

Thanks Stella. If we are lucky enough to get a few decent pumpkins, we may have to try carving his name into one while it grows. Right now we only have 2 growing.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

stella1751 wrote:It should be fine. When I was studying pumpkins last year, I came across a site that said some people actually carve their names into pumpkins early in their development. As the pumpkin grows, the scar becomes more pronounced, and the mature pumpkin has a big old name in it :-)
Thanks for reminding me about this! My largest is presently the size of a grapefruit, which about the right size for my 7-yr-old to "write" his 4-letter name :)

BTW I have an image in my mind of you "studying pumpkins." It's weird!

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Well, in hopes of saving my other pumpkin plants (which, slowly, seems to be growing!) I gave it a little Alaskan Fish Fertilizer on it's leaves, and a little bit of plant-tone around by the stem. Guess I'll see what happens from here!

stella1751
Greener Thumb

SPierce wrote:Well, in hopes of saving my other pumpkin plants (which, slowly, seems to be growing!) I gave it a little Alaskan Fish Fertilizer on it's leaves, and a little bit of plant-tone around by the stem. Guess I'll see what happens from here!
I can remember worrying about my pumpkins early last summer. They got off to a really slow start, and I wondered whether I would get any pumpkins at all before the first freeze. By the end of the summer, everyone was talking about planning their pumpkins around Halloween, and I had just harvested my last one and was getting ready to pull the plants. Duh.

Once they get going, they really produce fast. If your current pumpkins don't make it, maybe those seeds you planted will prove just the ticket for Halloween pumpkins!

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Hmmm... maybe I planted mine too early? I have one thats about the size of a bowling ball right now, still green, just staring to yellow. While at the same time I have a bunch of oh... smaller than golf ball size growing. Wonder if I am going to be with pumpkins before Halloween or if they will be ok.

[img]https://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/cherishedtiger/DSCN0712.jpg[/img]

This was taken on July 10th, so if you can imagine the plant has grown quite a bit in just a few days.

How long do pumpkins store? :oops:

SPierce
Greener Thumb

cherishedtiger wrote:Hmmm... maybe I planted mine too early? I have one thats about the size of a bowling ball right now, still green, just staring to yellow. While at the same time I have a bunch of oh... smaller than golf ball size growing. Wonder if I am going to be with pumpkins before Halloween or if they will be ok.

This was taken on July 10th, so if you can imagine the plant has grown quite a bit in just a few days.

I had a few that lasted me until Feburary the next year- don't worry :D Not all of them do that, but some will.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

SPierce wrote:
cherishedtiger wrote: How long do pumpkins store? :oops:
I had a few that lasted me until Feburary the next year- don't worry :D Not all of them do that, but some will.
Were these on the vine? Or picked?

I know that picked pumpkins last forever, but I'd like to leave mine on the vine for a month or so past maturity. I planted May 7, but I want to have them picked on October 23rd at our 2nd annual Pick and Paint Pumpkin Patch Party.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

SPierce wrote:Aww, thanks! I put a few more seeds in the ground, but.... :/ I don't know what killed it. It's driving me nuts.
We're just about 90 days from Halloween, and if you're planting 90-100 day varieties, it's going to be close.

Does your local nursery have pumpkin plants that might already be 2-3 weeks old?

SPierce
Greener Thumb

TheWaterbug wrote:
SPierce wrote:Aww, thanks! I put a few more seeds in the ground, but.... :/ I don't know what killed it. It's driving me nuts.
We're just about 90 days from Halloween, and if you're planting 90-100 day varieties, it's going to be close.

Does your local nursery have pumpkin plants that might already be 2-3 weeks old?
\
I'm actually not too worried... I still have one pumpkin plant left; if I get one, I get one. Otherwise, I'll try again next year! I did plant some pumpkins from a local nusery last year, but I had horrible luck with the plants doing all of NOTHING then dying off. I prefer to start from seed.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

cherishedtiger wrote:Hmmm... maybe I planted mine too early? I have one thats about the size of a bowling ball right now, still green, just staring to yellow. While at the same time I have a bunch of oh... smaller than golf ball size growing. Wonder if I am going to be with pumpkins before Halloween or if they will be ok.

That's a beautiful pumpkin plant, Cherished Tiger! Last year I picked mine in late August and early September. I gave two away, and the recipients told me they had saved them for Halloween. There's a trick, too, for making them last longer. You wipe down the outside with a bleach dilute and store them someplace cool. I don't think either person did that with the ones I gave them, so it might not be necessary.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Thanks!! Its going crazy out there!! Every time I go out I am finding more and more baby pumpkins that seem to grow up over night!!!
Knowing they will last a nice long while I am not so worried anymore. I cant wait to get full grown ones though! Pumpkin pie, pumpkin breads, jack-o-lanterns.... I love fall and it can never seem to come quick enough!

soil
Greener Thumb

I am going to be overloaded with winter squash this fall, which is a good thing. my plants are doing fantastic.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Should I thin my cantaloupe vines?
[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3552590/CantaloupeVine072911_web.jpg[/img]
The seed packet instructed me to keep three plants per hill, but they look mighty crowded in there, and the vines just aren't very long. Nor are they fruiting, despite being sown on May 7th.

I thinned my pumpkin vines to 1/hill more than a month ago, and they're about to take over the Western hemisphere, while these poor cantaloupes are just crawling along, growing perhaps an inch/day.

My pumpkin vines are the same age, and the vines are literally covering 4x-10x the area of the cantaloupes. Then again pumpkins are just naturally bigger, aren't they?

Or do I just need to be more patient?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

The few different muskmelons I have grown have all been smaller than even Delicata squash plants, which are waaaay smaller than big pumpkin plants.

On a differnt note...

I've been eating young butternut squash as a summer squash and am very happy with the flavor. Unlike the last zuchiini I remember eating there is actually some flavor to the summer-nut.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I think more patient. my canteloupes did crazy nuts like that and lots of flowers and no female flowers... until one day when I was showing my friend how its loaded with nothing but male flowers, I came across a bunch of fruits! I can't believe I missed them!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would not thin those melons. Give them some fertilizer.

Fig3825

Update as of today, July 31, 2011...

This is the bed housing my squash and melons. On the left are several watermelon plants and in the same row, but farthest from camera is a younger cantalope. You can't really see it all that well, but the butternuts are growing all over the place. There are 6 vines winding around on the weed mat, three on the closer side and another 3 on the opposite side.
[img]https://jtnewton.com/Images/Garden/07312011003.jpg[/img]

A better shot from the opposite side of the bed. The cantaloupe is the vine that seems to be pointing to the plant label/stake. The rest are watermelons.
[img]https://jtnewton.com/Images/Garden/07312011010.jpg[/img]

This is a peek inside the large of the two summer squash plants. There are two squash about the same size, including the one in the picture and another that is about half that size, presently.
[img]https://jtnewton.com/Images/Garden/07312011006.jpg[/img]

This is a little butternut. It's about 4" long as of now.
[img]https://jtnewton.com/Images/Garden/07312011009.jpg[/img]

I have several little watermelons starting to grow. Closer shot of one of them.
[img]https://jtnewton.com/Images/Garden/07312011007.jpg[/img][/img]

hockeymom519

Here are a few more pics of our Atlantic Giant pumpkins. We have 2 plants with 1 pumpkin on each plant.

Smaller of the 2 pumpkins
[img]https://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i361/hockeymom519/Mobile%20Uploads/100MEDIA_IMAG0234.jpg[/img]

And the big one...It looks like a giant butternut squash.
[img]https://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i361/hockeymom519/Mobile%20Uploads/100MEDIA_IMAG0230.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i361/hockeymom519/Mobile%20Uploads/100MEDIA_IMAG0232.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i361/hockeymom519/Mobile%20Uploads/100MEDIA_IMAG0233.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i361/hockeymom519/Mobile%20Uploads/100MEDIA_IMAG0238.jpg[/img]

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Well, my pumpkins and gourds all got pummeled and torn apart by hail! I doubt I'm going to get any this year, but, bless them, they're still trucking along and there's new growth on them! So, for me it's a waiting game.

Same with my zucchini, the thing looks so broken it's amazing it's still alive! alas, though, it's still blossoming and making baby zucchinis, so we'll see!

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

TheWaterbug wrote: . . . they look mighty crowded in there, and the vines just aren't very long. Nor are they fruiting, despite being sown on May 7th . . . . Or do I just need to be more patient?
Well, lookee what happens when you're not watching!
[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3552590/FirstCantaloupes080511_web.jpg[/img]

The little one is about the size of a racquet ball. There's another one, off-camera, that's the size of a squash ball :D.

None of my other cantaloupe vines is fruiting yet, but maybe if I ignore them for a week they'll surprise me as well :)

SPierce, good to hear that they've survived!

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

hockeymom519 wrote:Here are a few more pics of our Atlantic Giant pumpkins. We have 2 plants with 1 pumpkin on each plant.
That's awesome! I think I'm going to try an Atlantic Giant next year.

I'm just not sure how much space I need to give it.

Where did you buy your seeds, and what kind of ground preparation did you do?

hockeymom519

TheWaterbug wrote:
hockeymom519 wrote: Where did you buy your seeds, and what kind of ground preparation did you do?
We got the seeds at Lowes. Our first time ever growing pumpkins. Just tilled the ground and added a little 10-10-10. Started the seeds indoors for a couple weeks then planted outside.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

TheWaterbug wrote:
TheWaterbug wrote: . . . they look mighty crowded in there, and the vines just aren't very long. Nor are they fruiting, despite being sown on May 7th . . . . Or do I just need to be more patient?
Well, lookee what happens when you're not watching!
[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3552590/FirstCantaloupes080511_web.jpg[/img]

The little one is about the size of a racquet ball. There's another one, off-camera, that's the size of a squash ball :D.

None of my other cantaloupe vines is fruiting yet, but maybe if I ignore them for a week they'll surprise me as well :)

SPierce, good to hear that they've survived!
I am hoping for a similar surprise, Waterbug. My watermelons have begun to flower like crazy, and I've been hand-pollinating steadily for the last three days. I keep hoping I will see a baby watermelon hiding under the leaves. Maybe this morning!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”