CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Huge black radishes not daikon, now what?

Does anyone know what to do with really big black radishes, I know I bought Daikon seed, but all but 2 turned out to be really big black radishes. Are the edible and if so what does one do with them? I will have to see if I can lay my hands on some Daikon seed from another vender and try again as a fall crop. I still want to see them and try them.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

That is a winter radish that I grew one year. The flowers when it goes to seed are nice. The radish I did not care for!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Winter varieties
DaikonBlack Spanish or Black Spanish Round occur in both round and elongated forms, and are sometimes simply called the black radish or known by the French name Gros Noir d'Hiver. It dates in Europe to 1548,[8] and was a common garden variety in England and France during the early 19th century.[9] It has a rough black skin with hot-flavored white flesh, is round or irregularly pear shaped,[10] and grows to around 10 cm (4 in) in diameter.

Daikon refers to a wide variety of winter radishes from Asia. While the Japanese name daikon has been adopted in English, it is also sometimes called the Japanese radish, Chinese radish, Oriental radish or mooli (in India and South Asia).[11] Daikon commonly have elongated white roots, although many varieties of daikon exist. One well known variety is April Cross, with smooth white roots.[5][6] The New York Times describes Masato Red and Masato Green varieties as extremely long, well suited for fall planting and winter storage.[5] The Sakurajima daikon is a hot-flavored variety which is typically grown to around 10 kg (22 lb), but which can grow to 30 kg (66 lb) when left in the ground

From here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radish

Eric

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Good info DD. I eat the dalkon at a chineese resturante that is in a special sauce. Its pretty good and a creamy white with a slightly tangy taste!. I ate there today after our fishing trip but they did not have them in the salad section!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I don't know about your particular variety but the big watermelon radishes I grew last year were pretty good roasted. Mixed in when roasting potatoes...1-2" chunks with olive oil, garlic and herbs in the oven. Whole shallots/small onions are good in the mix too.

Beansie_time

Black Radish is decent when roasted. I suggest dicing black radish, turnip. and other root veggies, tossing them all with oil, salt and pepper,then roasting in the oven. It's not a great veggie, I got a bunch from a CSA I was part of last year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”