pizzarrhea
Cool Member

Advice on Thai Hot Chili Peppers?

Just got a thai hot chili pepper plant from my local nursery, already had peppers on it and everything was on sale so I felt the urge to purchase one.
Has anyone grown these before? Any specific diseases I should look out for?
Is my mouth going to explode when I eat one?

nosta

I have grown these for a couple of years. I havent had the slightest problem with any type of diseases. They are excellent little peppers and do have a lot of heat to them. I would say they are as hot as or maybe a shade hotter than my cayenne's.

sixshooter

My first year growing these as well. What are some good uses? Pickling?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

my first-choice use for just about any hot pepper: homemade hot sauce.

nosta

I use these and cayennes to make hot pepper vinegar for greens. Also makes good hot sauce and excellent in Chili.

dave103069

They are pretty easy to grow and low maintenance from my experience.. They are not that hot, basically the same heat as you would get from the peppers in Chinese food. I put them in stir fry, sauces and chili...

soil
Greener Thumb

I grow them every year, and have been cross breeding all the different thai chilis I get with some interesting results. most of the thai chilis people get are the taller varieties. make sure it gets a good amount of mulch and keep the soil moist. but the plant above loves the heat. the hotter the better.

heat varies with variety, but they are generally pretty hot. if you like jalapenos to eat, these will be good for you. if jalapenos burn you, these will burn more.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”