mmmfloorpie

Cucs

Hi all, my cucumber plants are out of control! I have 2 7 foot trellises and the plant has completely over taken them.

What do I do now to curb the growth? Should I snip the ends of the vines so they don't grow any longer? I hate that prospect!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

If you find it objectionable, clip it! If not, just let it go, maybe it will grow back down?

mmmfloorpie

I've noticed a lot of people have been having troubles growing cucs this year so I thought I'd commandeer my own thread and post pics of my perfectly healthy cucumber plant!

[img]https://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm113/drew4allyou/garden/0716111931-00.jpg[/img]

Look Ma, no spots or wilted leaves!

[img]https://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm113/drew4allyou/garden/0716111931-01.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm113/drew4allyou/garden/0716111932-00.jpg[/img]

Mmm, I can't wait till those 2 babies ripen :D

This is the second year I've grown cucumbers. Last year I did English Telegraphs and this year I mistakenly picked up Marketmores. Anyways, both years I've been extremely successful. Last year I got more than I could ever possibly eat. I did have a dusty mildew problem last year but that was because I planted my garden too densely, my trellis was up against that wall so there was bad air circulation and it was a fairly wet summer... Lessons learned!

I don't really do anything special either. Just lots of sun and lots of water. Plus I planted this years plant on the opposite side of the garden as last year. It seems there are lots of problems with soil contamination from what I've read on this board.

To stave off the dusty mildew, this year I never water the leaves, just the base of the plant (or use a soaker hose). I also planted a lot fewer plants so there is better circulation. I also set up the trellis in a V shape so that air can get back in behind where that wall is.

Just some tips and I hope I didn't make some of you jealous![/img]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Very nice. Here's to a bountiful harvest.

Just some tips and I hope I didn't make some of you jealous
:twisted: :P :roll: :lol:

Eric

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I.......am........jealous.

pickupguy07

I had ONE plant come up out of 5 speeds planted...
I have canned 10+ pints each of pickels and relish.. and they are still blooming, and growing like crazy.
Guess I am lucky, everything I planted is doing real well..
I am so lucky for a first time garden.

The Mad Hatter

I have the same great problem with mine. This is about a fifteen foot row. Today I am canning zucchini and cucumbers. I picked the first batcht today. I got 26 off the vines for 17 pounds worth. Don't know if this is good or bad but it made me happy.

[img]https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d118/Scooter6512/IMG_20110710_111813.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d118/Scooter6512/IMG_20110717_112759.jpg[/img]

For next year I plan on building a huge "N" for lack of a better term so the cuca can grow up one side, across the top and sown the other side. I have also thought that you could possibly plant a cool weather crop underneath the top from the shade created.

This may even make it easier for the honey beast to get to the flowers and improve the amount harvested.

T.M.H.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

pickupguy07 wrote:I had ONE plant come up out of 5 speeds planted...
I have canned 10+ pints each of pickels and relish.. and they are still blooming, and growing like crazy.
Guess I am lucky, everything I planted is doing real well..
I am so lucky for a first time garden.
It's funny. I remember my first year with cucumbers as being my best year ever. I suspect that disease built up in the soil after that and I haven't had the same success since.

pickupguy07

The Mad Hatter wrote: This may even make it easier for the honey beast to get to the flowers and improve the amount harvested.

T.M.H.
I am sure most of you have heard that bees a greatly on the decline everywhere, and it is becoming a problem with pollinating the crops and may lead to a shortage of food worldwide.

We may need to see what it takes to mak a honey bee hine on our property to help with this problem.. Just think pollination, and free honey. yummy

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

We may need to see what it takes to make a honey bee hive on our property to help with this problem.. Just think pollination, and free honey. yummy
You need to do some checking into this first. Unless someone gives you a swarm, it ain't free. I think the queen kits are almost $150.00. Then add up all the Supers and equipments. I wouldn't be surprised starting out might be more like $500.00.

Now if you built Orchard Bee blocks out of scrap wood ............

I've also read that bumble bees are better at pollinating squash.

Eric

The Mad Hatter

My wife's cousin just this year started a super cell of bees. He found plans on the net on how to construct the hive and what to finished it with. This is where you can save some cash. He then ordered his bees, veil, smoker, and screens I think crime the same place in Kentucky.

I seen them just before my boy left for the Marine Corps. Awesome was all I could say. They fly right out of the hive and right to the garden. He gets all the pollination he needs. Plus he gets honey. He also has local brewers that make and produce honey wine. Once you figure honey sales to brewers it wont take long to get your payback. Plus from the way I understand it toe will be able to add one super cell every year to keaep the swarm from flying off to a larger home next year.

T.M.H.

mmmfloorpie

I know this thread is kind of off topic now, but are ants any good at pollinating watermelon plants? lol

When I was watering today I noticed there were a bunch of small ants in one of the male flowers...

I also have a bazillion canteloupes this year. Should I thank the ants? lol

Seriously though, I've noticed a lot of yellow jackets and wasps this year... I guess they must be good at pollination too.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Ants, Wasp and Yellow Jackets are probably just stealing the pollen. They maybe pollinating too.

Eric

mmmfloorpie

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Ants, Wasp and Yellow Jackets are probably just stealing the pollen. They maybe pollinating too.

Eric
Well bees don't purposely pollinate... It just happens because they are trying to get nectar and the pollen gets on their wings and they go around from flower to flower right?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

They maybe pollinating too.
Well bees don't purposely pollinate... It just happens because they are trying to get nectar and the pollen gets on their wings and they go around from flower to flower right?
Wasps are carnivorous and hunt for other insects or spiders, but some also visit flowers for nectar. Bees usually have very hairy bodies and pollen collecting hairs on their legs or under their abdomen to help them accomplish this task. Wasps tend to have few to no hairs at all because they don't intentionally collect pollen.

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”