CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Daikon advice requested

I planted Daikon (sp) japanese radishes for the first time this year to see what they are like. The leaves got huge like you might expect for something that is supposed to form a long root. Now it wants to go to seed, I keep taking it off them. We haven't had all that much hot weather, so it isn't bolting I don't think. Is this normal or are they going to stop growing? Any advice for what to do

They are in a carrot box and the carrots are doing just fine in a similar box with the same soil. They are forming roots that are thick but not too long yet. I pulled one up last week, but left the others. They have been watered regularly. The weather has been mild in the NW this year, but I have turnips going to seed as well. What is weird about the turnips is that 6' of the row are turning into right fine turnips, the other 6' many are going to flower without any turnip. Go figure.
Last edited by CharlieBear on Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

CharlieBear,

Welcome to Helpful Gardener. :) If you would, please add a little more information to your profile.

Some thoughts come to mind.
To much nitrogen may have given you all tops and poor roots.

Stress of some sort will cause premature seed heads "bolting". Under watering. Changes in weather. Possibly overcrowding. Maybe lack of nutrients

Not sure if they are like carrots, the centers may become woody after flowering.

Eric

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

I know that stressors can cause bolting, but I know that it is not a fertlizer problem, as I am very careful and don't use much of it. I have some Chinese parsley that is trying to flower but the other types of parsley are not and the parsley are all together in one of the 3 carrot boxes. I have deep boxes that I rotate for carrots as I can't get good ones in the soil around here. The Dicon is in one of the carrot boxes this year and so is some lettuce and it is not going to seed or bolting. I am fairly sure it is not a water problem, because I have been very careful to keep the lettuce well watered.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Daikon radishes are wonderful! Yum! :D

They like cool weather, ideally around 70º F or cooler. Typically, they are considered a "winter radish", so using them as a fall crop might be better. That's just a suggestion, as I've never tried it myself.

They grow best in a loose, well-drained soil that contains a lot of compost, so if your soil is anything like the heavy clay in my yard, that may have had a negative effect on the formation of the roots. They also do best in shady, moist soil. It's important not to allow the soil to dry out, because that can cause the daikon roots to split. Also, if you have them in direct sun, that may be why they are trying to flower.

One thing about daikon is that the root can grow very large. Commonly, with root crops, the soil must be worked deeply, so it's loose enough to allow the root plenty of room to develop. I think for daikon, I would use a container at least 18" deep, or work your garden soil to that depth. Deeper would be better.

I love to grate them and sauté them in butter, or just grate them and add them raw to salads. :D
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

When a radish decides to bolt (go to seed), you may as well pull it. It will refuse to put on a good root after that point. What root it has will probably get tough and stringy. You may do well to plant some for a fall crop.
-|-
About turnips and carrots going to seed. These crops usually grow as biennials. If they go to seed the first year, do not save seed from them. If you do you encourage the annual behavior and most of them will bolt the first year. I wonder about the seed you planted. Was it from a reputable company?
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

I bought the seed from one of the oldest mail order seed companies, so hopefully their supplier is still reliable.
When you say fall radish when would I plant it with an average first frost date of October 21? I will pull them up as soon as I post this, I knew to pull turnip, carrots, beets and regular radishes, but since I had never tried Daikon before I wasn't sure.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”