edreed20

Potato problem?

[img]https://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k616/20edreed/IMG_7077.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k616/20edreed/IMG_2897.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k616/20edreed/IMG_2621.jpg[/img]

As you can see in the pics some of my potatoes arent looking as good as the others and I don't no why. For about the last few weeks to a month 3 or 4 of the plants have had lots of leaves curl and their color has been really light. The last few days though its gotten a little worse, it looks like theyre dying. I know the plants die when they are ready for harvest but I planted them all at the same time so I'm thinking its not that.

Any ideas?

SPierce
Greener Thumb

look on the undersides of the leaves- are there any bright orange colored eggs? any small orange caterpillars? Mine got nailed by colorado potatoe beetles before I was finally able to combat them, and they started to die very quickly after hatching. I didn't notice the larvae until it was too late, then have to do a ton of squishing!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Is it possible that the seed was mixed and the dying plant is an early variety?

edreed20

Ive been looking out for pests so I don't think its that, maybe the seeds did get mixed up.

So at this point what should I do? Dig them up?

SPierce
Greener Thumb

edreed20 wrote:Ive been looking out for pests so I don't think its that, maybe the seeds did get mixed up.

So at this point what should I do? Dig them up?
Finger dig around and see if there are any potatoes in the dirt. Pick and eat- then leave the plants in the ground to see if they make more potatoes ;D

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Great post, as mine look similar!!! What types of potatoes are they? Or at least do you think they are? I planted Yukons and thats what mine are looking like. Did they ever flower? (mine didnt thats why I ask)

[img]https://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/cherishedtiger/DSCN0715-1.jpg[/img]

I may have to go digging around... :wink:

edreed20

All I know is that theyre red potatoes.

They did flower, probably a month or so ago for a few weeks, but the sick ones flowered a week or 2 before the healthy ones don't know if that means anything

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

From what I have heard, its time to start digging! But I would say go with SPierces advice, dig up what you can but leave the plants in place.

edreed20

If I don't dig would that hurt them, like could they rot? I don't really want to dig up early/smaller potatoes

SPierce
Greener Thumb

edreed20 wrote:If I don't dig would that hurt them, like could they rot? I don't really want to dig up early/smaller potatoes
I'm growing red potatoes also, and my plants look similar. Only mine didn't flower- but I found big fist sized potatoes in the dirt!

Don't pull up the entire plant if you want some, that WILL kill it- just finger dig and pick out any potatoes for your nights dinner--- once you pick one, your plant will put energy into others and will keep making potatoes :D

Otherwise, no, they won't rot- but you may get some more potatoes by picking and eating a few earlies, so there's more room for the potato plants to make other potatoes!

I don't think your potatoes are sick-- I think they're pouring their energy into the potaotes! Once your plant flowers, there are some potatoes an inch to 2 inches round.

2cents
Green Thumb

Dig, wash, cut, cook, enjoy

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”