lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Arbor is doing its thing

The beans and cucumbers are enjoying the arch of the arbor

[img]https://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/lakngulf/July_2011/IMG_0139.jpg[/img]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

A sharp chainsaw will take care of that mess. I can't see the lake! :P :lol:

That's very nice. What variety of bean? I think Scarlet Emperor would be nice for this.

Eric

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Is this the tower of green we see behind the okra in another pic? Looks really good, and easy to harvest.

applestar
Mod

Looks great!
How long is the tunnel?

It looks like a great way to make a "clubhouse"/ shady nook for kids! I'm picturing a panel on the lake side with a "window" cut out.... 8)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Looking good. Those beans sure took off.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:That's very nice. What variety of bean? I think Scarlet Emperor would be nice for this. Eric
Rattlesnake. I have not tried SE but will look into them.
https://gurneys.com/rattlesnake-pole-beans/p/80647/
thanrose wrote:Is this the tower of green we see behind the okra in another pic? Looks really good, and easy to harvest.
Yes it is. This has worked so much better than I expected, I am already thinking about improvements for next year.
applestar wrote:Looks great! How long is the tunnel? It looks like a great way to make a "clubhouse"/ shady nook for kids! I'm picturing a panel on the lake side with a "window" cut out.... 8)
It is probably about 12 feet. The wire is 5 feet. I have two sections with some space between. My grandsons do enjoy playing in the garden, usually before the seed go in the ground, but I let them play at any time and encourage them to protect the plants. It is cool under the arbor.

Beansie_time

Wow that looks great. I'm going to have to try that for my cucumbers next year.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful. I've pictures of it done with bent cattle pannels, but CRW seems more versatile and easier to transport.

BP

Looking great!

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Update: The beans have about played out. Well, I quit picking them and will let the existing fruit dry for seeds. (I am assuming I can save these rattlesnake bean seeds). Cukes are still climbing and putting on fruit, but I have neglected them also.

[img]https://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/lakngulf/001-mcl-2011/IMG_0162.jpg[/img]

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

What a difference 5 weeks make in the summer heat in the south. My yard long beans did great until about 2 weeks ago and all of a sudden they wilted back and were finished. Same with my cucumbers, so they were also pulled and new seed is now popping up for a fall harvest.

That is one of the advantages of the deep south----2 seasons for things many folks can only grow once a year. My new tomato plants are now struggling to survive and I likely jumped the gun a bit putting them in the garden when I did. Hopefully, they will survive until milder temps get here and then they can take off.

Tilde
Green Thumb

Gumbo, this is quite lovely. I'm looking at growing some climbers shortly (just getting into tolerable season here) and I think that is a fantastic idea that will be nice and shady.

Thank you for sharing this idea!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”