Vicky

Bugs on my stringbeans

I planted a few rows of stringbeans (I forget the exact type but they are bushy in nature). When I water them, all these little bugs, like knats, come flying out. Two of the plants (out of 40 or so) have died. I thought it was because I planted them too oclosely, but now I am afraid the bugs are doing it. What are these, how do I get them to leave.

Vicky

There are several things hanging on my beans, one of them, and I thinik it it is problem is a small green (neon) bug. I will look it up., but if you know what it is, please post.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Vicky, I think the gnat-like bugs that fly up may be whiteflies. I don't know if you can get a photo of them or not, because they do tend to fly up at the least disturbance. That makes them difficult to control with insecticidal sprays. They are sucking insects, so products that leave a residue on the leaves won't control them, either. Contact insecticides, such as as soap solutions and neem oil sprays, work best if applied when the insects are in the nymphal stages. You may want to try those. At least they would limit the infestation and the damage to your plants.

I have no idea what the neon green thing might be, though. Could you post a photo of that for us? It would be very helpful. If you need instructions for posting images, just click on the link below. :)

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]How to Post Pictures & Photos on Forums[/url]
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”