somegeek

Indoor Peppers (pic)

These two Bhut Jolokias were planted roughly early March and have been under lights indoors since then in a tray(two 26W 6400k CFLs). Both are in 4" pots with a basic potting mix with maybe 30% perlite. As there's not much of a breeze in our office, the bee's job is done with a brisk shaking every few days. I've been a bit lazy with this but they're putting out peppers now. If I were more diligent about the shaking, there'd prolly be more peppters. I fill the water up to about 3/8" deep and then water again when it's empty(every week or so).

[img]https://somegeek.home.comcast.net/bhuts.jpg[/img]

somegeek

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Oh wow!!! You got Bhuts to grow?! Congrats! Mine ever only got about 3-4 leaves and then died.
Congrats! I am going to be looking for more seeds to attempt to try again, will have to keep your post as so I will know how to do it!
Thanks for sharing!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you want the plants to get bigger and be more productive, I think you need to transplant them into pots at least twice that big. They will get rootbound and stunted in the tiny pots.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I agree with RG. My theory has always been the bigger the pot the bigger the plant - and that is all about the root space.

Last year, I moved peppers up to 5 gal pots and they did really well. this year they are in 10 gal pots and they are very happy. I also planted some anco peppers in 3 different size pots so DH could see them side by side. Yes, the peppers in the largest pots are the healthiest and producing the most.

It is possible to grow in small containers but it is a lot more work in terms of watering and the plants can't produce to their tru potential.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

In texas them plant them in a 10 gallon hat right?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”