ButterflyGarden

My First Big Harvest of the Year

A bucket of Sweet Basil, a bucket of Mammoth Basil, 3 White Radishes, 3 Chilli Peppers, some mint, 5 Strawberries, and 11 Tomatoes. Not bad for a little balcony garden. I grew everything in containers from seed except the mint which was from a clipping and the strawberry plants which where birthday gifts.

ButterflyGarden

Oh! ...and the radishes are 2nd generation. It's my first attempt at saving seeds and I think it worked out really well.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Wow! You did well. I envy you the tomatoes. I will be lucky to get one by September.

ButterflyGarden

Thanks. :) You envy my tomatoes and I'll envy your land, deal? :wink:

coolqcumber

looking fantastic. youre peppers are making me jealous as I have a ton of them, which are not red, but are still very hot to say the least. mine seem to rarely turn red.

although I have a decent sized garden out back, I very much envy your balcony grow......happy gardening.

on a side note, sorry to hear about your slow grow season jal_ut.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Congrats :D Those tomatoes look fantastic.

Moley
Cool Member

Mazol Tov

bogydave

Great job.
Tomatoes that have flavor. Nice!

Runningtrails

Wow! Looks great! I'll be lucky if I get red peppers! No tomatoes anytime soon here either.

Congrats on the radish seed saving!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Those first tomatoes as the crop begins to produce are always so exciting. Your produce looks great!

I sure feel for you northern gardeners. My table has looked like this since mid June, but tomatoes since May.

This table is mostly slicers, but minus the 30 or so that I gave to friends yesterday.

[img]https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6013/5926262269_6285937377_o.jpg[/img]

This table is mostly salad tomatoes including plum, juliet, and sweet cluster. This photo as well is minus about 6 pounds that were sent to friends this a.m.
[img]https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6027/5926262797_d392263646_o.jpg[/img]

I'm hoping for tomatoes until first frost in November, but the vines keep giving way to disease, so am not sure how long I'll be able to keep production going. I continue to plant replacements, but the heat and humidity may take them out as well unless they make it until early September.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Great harvest and especially for a balcony garden. Congratulations!

We have been eating eggplant this last week and have had a half dozen or so sweet peppers ripen on the vine to red (Carmen). We are also getting cucumbers like crazy. We've only had about a dozen cherry tomatoes come in but that is changing quickly. Many are days from being ready and I noticed one of the slicers actually getting a blush - a tomato sandwich from our garden would make me ever so happy - it is one of my favorite summer foods.

Jal, I don't understand why you can't get tomatoes before September. I think you mentioned buying starter plants locally but how small are they?

I grow my own and that makes a huge difference. My neighbor is complaining that my tomatoes are too tall for this time of year - most being 4-6 feet with a few cherries pushing well past that.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Congrats!!! That all looks wonderful!!! Who says you cant do things in small spaces?!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I missed the 'little balcony garden' comment and thought that the garden was just slow to get started. Sorry, too much skimming of too much material makes for less than ideal absorption. The crop is especially good coming from a container garden. Tomatoes can be particularly challenging to grow in containers. We started out with about 35-40 tomato plants where only 4-5 would satisfy our needs if they grew vigorously all summer. To make sure and to have lots of varieties we plant way more than we need. It is always nice to be able to supply friends and family with the excess. Our garden is mainly in raised beds, in large containers, or is in the ground. We do have one egg plant growing on our balcony. It is both ornamental plus provides a few Asian egg plant fruit as a bonus. I love the idea of a balcony garden and while container gardening can be a challenge, it has many advantages as well.

ButterflyGarden

Thanks everyone. I live in a big city that is in a tiny country filled with lots of people. Here we learn very quickly to make good use of space. on my balcony I have 15 tomato plants, 4 pepper plants, 6 chili pepper plants, 2 containers of chives, 1 of mint, 2 strawberry plants, a container of green onions, about 25 basil of different variety, lavender, chamomile, Jasmine, English primrose, 3 succulents (actually 4, I'm plant sitting one), a container of radishes, and a container that had lettuce and is now empty. I'm about to plant carrots in it. I have one other empty container but I haven't decided what to plant there yet. Earlier in the year I had garlic, kale and peas as well. I have plants in all my windows and in my kitchen, too. Until I can afford a garden apartment, this is the best I can do.

Here are some more pictures of my garden:

[url]https://www.theshorething.org/Rivkas_Garden.html[/url]

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Nice garden

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”