gardenbean

Updates please on Eggplants.........

Would like to get everyone's comments on how their eggplants are doing. (Am in the proceess of learning to post up pics :roll: ) in the meantime mine are 3ft in height and I am seeing the beginning's of fruit developing. Having never grown eggplant before all of this is new to me.... :D

This week though we are gettin some crazy monsoon types of storms coming thru the area and the newscast say it could continue thru next week. I hope all of this abundance of rain doesn't slow down the growth.

Brandywinegirl

My "Hansel" eggplant is doing well. I have picked four already and there are 8 small ones that will be ready to pick next week. Just planted another one 2 weeks ago - white eggplant. I see a lot of eggplant parm in my future!!

gardenbean

Since this is my first eggplant I planted Black Beauty not aware that there are several others to choose from. No fruit yet..... :lol:

tedln
Super Green Thumb

My eggplants never do well until the weather is consistently over 100 degrees. It was 107 yesterday and my eggplant is doing great with eight or ten fruit on each plant. They just seem to like the really hot weather.

Ted

Father's Daughter
Cool Member

Last year I had two Japanese eggplants that I picked up as seedlings on clearance and they were pretty good producers. This year, staying with my Southern Italian garden theme, I'm trying an Italian eggplant variety that I started from seed. The five plants are about three feet tall and this past week I finally am having flowers that are blooming rather than buds dropping probably thanks to the hot weather finally arriving!

gardenbean

tedln wrote:My eggplants never do well until the weather is consistently over 100 degrees. It was 107 yesterday and my eggplant is doing great with eight or ten fruit on each plant. They just seem to like the really hot weather.

Ted
It's been warm here until last Thursday, now we are on the expressway of monsoon moisture every afternoon. Not knocking the rain but I think with have had our share here and maybe it should go somewhere else. Don't want to greedy with the rain :lol: Plants have small buds developing.

gardenbean

Father's Daughter wrote:Last year I had two Japanese eggplants that I picked up as seedlings on clearance and they were pretty good producers. This year, staying with my Southern Italian garden theme, I'm trying an Italian eggplant variety that I started from seed. The five plants are about three feet tall and this past week I finally am having flowers that are blooming rather than buds dropping probably thanks to the hot weather finally arriving!
Lucky you having flowers! I don't have any on mine yet like yours they are about 3ft tall now. And I did take my plants out into the garden late as we had a chilly spring this year for them.
Next year I would like to try some other types of eggplants. :)

csvd87

Mine are finally growing, been a pretty crappy spring/summer, Tallest Plants are my Black Beauty and Kazakhstan, earliest is my Hydroponic Gretel that I transplanted to soil, it has a few flowers on it. Thai White Ribbed is doing well, showing some quicker growth, slowest of the bunch are Thai Yellow, Turkish Orange and Listada de Gandia.

Fig3825

I had to replant my entire garden starting about 6 weeks ago and the planting went on for a couple weeks. My eggplant (black beauty) is just now coming up. I have 2" - 3" seedlings still.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

My eggplant have been in the ground for months now and I've picked quite a few. I've made about 4 large eggplant and shrimp casseroles with the Black Beauties and have grilled many of the Ichiban and another slender 2 tone variety whose name I can't recall. I just split them down the middle, drizzle with olive oil then sprinkle sea salt and black pepper on them to cook on the grill-----------DELICIOUS!!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”